New Task created by NEW button places tag in highlighted note

I don't post much but dang it Evernote has been a big part of my digital life for 10 years+ that bugs/changes are really personal.  I think that's why we such a kick back from the loyal members with all the changes/bugs.

Anyway...I'm sure it's "designed this way".. so maybe not a "bug"... but doesn't make sense to this guy.

When I click on the NEW button in windows EN and select TASK, I get the pop up dialog that prompts for all the information. Works well.
But you better be watching, cause if you are like me thinking this is automatically goes to your default task note you are mistaken!
You need to pay attention cause EN puts this newly created TASK in what ever note maybe selected behind this popup box.

Not the action I would expect nor want.  I want that button to go into the default task note.  IF I have a project note or special list of task in another note then I would go edit that.

There is no way I have found to not have a note highlighted.  Even if you random selected a new notebook, the top note is selected.  

en_task_box.jpg.f9ecf993e71aa312b0d076d6d20d157f.jpg

I would like to see this changed, OR at least give me the option to set this in preferences.  Which speaking of preferences, there are 2.
Remember all the preferences we use to have?  OH well.    

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Shawn Hughes said:

Anyway...I'm sure it's "designed this way".. so maybe not a "bug"... 

There is no way I have found to not have a note highlighted.  Even if you random selected a new notebook, the top note is selected.  

It's a feature, not a bug ... 😉

289792954_2021-08-23_08-52-20_PreviousreleasenotesforEvernoteforWindowsEvernoteHelpLearning.png.392a35e1f32e99b217ca7fcb2b29acb3.png

Of course it depends on your preferences and your own workflow, for me it fits like it is. If one has selected a note, then the new task goes into this specific note. If one add a new task directly from "Home" it automatically goes to your default task note. 

Well, I disagree 🙂   and hence why I mentioned about having preferences.   Before this revision happened, I could use that create button and know where that task was going.  Why would you need it the other way?  If you have notes you want to add tasks to go and open that note up!   

To me the default task note is for those tasks that don't have a home currently in your note system.  Quick Tasks.    Anything that is a project or more detail info is needed for the task then it get's its own note.   Selecting the correct note out of the TASK popup is horrible slow.  So as I see it this TASK button is useless for me.

I'd sure like to get a vote on these changes that are made like this.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Why even have the button to create a new task at the same level as new notes? If the task goes into a note then the task button should be at the note level, in the menu bar above notes. That's the way I would like it. Now, to create a new note, I have to click new then select note. For people (like myself) who rarely use tasks, this is an unnecessary additional step.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Everalien said:

If the task goes into a note then the task button should be at the note level, in the menu bar above notes. That's the way I would like it.

There isn't a edit menu icon to enter a new task but it is the first item on the insert menu (the blue +). Alternatively you can add a task to a note by using alt+T

29 minutes ago, Everalien said:

Now, to create a new note, I have to click new then select note. For people (like myself) who rarely use tasks, this is an unnecessary additional step.

I'm with you on this one. Again keyboard shortcuts help. ctrl+N creates a new note directly.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/22/2021 at 5:19 PM, Shawn Hughes said:

I don't post much but dang it Evernote has been a big part of my digital life for 10 years+ that bugs/changes are really personal.  I think that's why we such a kick back from the loyal members with all the changes/bugs.

Anyway...I'm sure it's "designed this way".. so maybe not a "bug"... but doesn't make sense to this guy.

When I click on the NEW button in windows EN and select TASK, I get the pop up dialog that prompts for all the information. Works well.
But you better be watching, cause if you are like me thinking this is automatically goes to your default task note you are mistaken!
You need to pay attention cause EN puts this newly created TASK in what ever note maybe selected behind this popup box.

Not the action I would expect nor want.  I want that button to go into the default task note.  IF I have a project note or special list of task in another note then I would go edit that.

en_task_box.jpg.f9ecf993e71aa312b0d076d6d20d157f.jpg

I would like to see this changed, OR at least give me the option to set this in preferences.  Which speaking of preferences, there are 2.
Remember all the preferences we use to have?  OH well.    

I completely agree.  The current behavior could be improved.  My expectation is what I enter a new task (when I hit the plus button on the side bar), I would like the task to be in the default task note, not the note that happens to be displayed.  (If I was interested in entering a task within the note, I would use the plus button that's within the note menu bar.)

• Like 3
  • Level 5

EN still is not a task manager with notes, it is a note manager with tasks.

Tasks are a better way to control actions on notes. All tasks must rest in a note - there are no "free flying" tasks allowed in EN.

Now the idea is NOT to throw a lot of tasks into the standard task note, and manage them there. The basic idea is to have each task be with a different note (or maybe a few tasks in one note, like a note with a project plan). You need a tag for the task - tag the note. You need to move the task - move the note. You want to add an information - add it to the note. This is the tasks design EN has chosen on creating the tasks feature.

The current way of creating a task inside of the actual note instead of the default tasks note is a consequence of this idea. Furthermore it is easier to move a task to the default note, than having it created in the default, and now need to find the proper note and move it there.

If you have a heap of tasks in default, you should check if this is really the best way to use the tasks feature.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/18/2021 at 8:27 PM, PinkElephant said:

EN still is not a task manager with notes, it is a note manager with tasks.

Tasks are a better way to control actions on notes. All tasks must rest in a note - there are no "free flying" tasks allowed in EN.

Now the idea is NOT to throw a lot of tasks into the standard task note, and manage them there. The basic idea is to have each task be with a different note (or maybe a few tasks in one note, like a note with a project plan). You need a tag for the task - tag the note. You need to move the task - move the note. You want to add an information - add it to the note. This is the tasks design EN has chosen on creating the tasks feature.

The current way of creating a task inside of the actual note instead of the default tasks note is a consequence of this idea. Furthermore it is easier to move a task to the default note, than having it created in the default, and now need to find the proper note and move it there.

If you have a heap of tasks in default, you should check if this is really the best way to use the tasks feature.

Though my recommendation would still be to have a dedicated note that has tasks and that if you hit the plus button, it would go to this default note.  The typical scenario would be you think of a task and it would be easier to have it go to to the default note task so that it would be easier to find and organize later.  If it were to be added to a note that you happened to be working on, it may be more challenging to find later on.

• Level 5

Oh, but it does exactly that: When you open your first task, a default task note is created. When you click on the new task button in the left side panel, a box opens to accept your input.

It says right under the box title „If you don’t specify another note, the task will be created in your standard (task) note“. 

The name of this note is listed at the bottom, in my case called in German „Zu erledigende Dinge“ (Things to do). You can decide to move the Task into another note. 

Only if you add a task by clicking on the blue + , it will be added by default exactly where your cursor have been when you clicked on the blue + and selected „Task“ from the dropdown menu.

• 3 weeks later...

I just don't understand why Evernote is so against adding in a few preferences for some of these issues where there are apparently good reasons for different users to want the app to behave differently. Such in the above case.  

Just like the scenario above EN does this when you click New Note button from the far left sidebar.  Of course I dislike that as well. 😃

To me, those far left new task new note buttons are above any one note in my system .  Should be treated as new virgin task or note and if I  don't specify in the new task/note dialog, tags or notebook I prefer such items to go to my default task/notebook accordingly.

Anyone know how I could request officially to add such a preference selection such as I tried to described?

• Level 5

Every setting means one „If - Then - Else“ line of code more, followed by the action code invoked by it.

This drives code complexity and reduces performance. 

A single line is probably not much for a system - but 50 of them ? 100 ? 

Personally I use a lot of Apple products and software. You learn that „excellent“ often does not mean you can’t add any more, it means you can’t take anything away any more. Reduce to the max …

Of course you must not love the resulting app. And you can ask for more - best done by the feedback function of the clients, or a support ticket.