The issue is rather simple, but it is rather annoying. I'm searching for notes in the search bar. I know for a fact that they exist because I double checked their existence. They simply don't show up if I search them. I even copy pasted what I wanted to search from a note and still it does not show up. I am having this issue for some time now. I've updated my evernote to the latest version. The bug was not fixed. Please fix.

• Level 5*

These Forums are mainly user 2 user - subscribers can raise support queries here -  https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new and Free users here - https://twitter.com/evernotehelps

Can you quote the search terms you're looking for here?  Don't know if any of this helps... http://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/search_grammar.php

On 8/22/2021 at 1:13 PM, romanrusso said:

The issue is rather simple, but it is rather annoying. I'm searching for notes in the search bar. I know for a fact that they exist because I double checked their existence. They simply don't show up if I search them. I even copy pasted what I wanted to search from a note and still it does not show up. I am having this issue for some time now. I've updated my evernote to the latest version. The bug was not fixed. Please fix.

I assume these are old notes. it does take some time for notes to be indexed - anywhere between fractions of a second to hours!

I would check the notes are present on the web version and also check the search on the web version. That eliminates any issues with syncing etc. 

Mike, issue persists. I have extensive notes going far back, meaning that it is inconvenient for my to just manually filter through everything. Hence, I need search function, which is not working properly. Everything is synced and updated to last version of evernote. 

1 hour ago, romanrusso said:

Mike, issue persists. I have extensive notes going far back, meaning that it is inconvenient for my to just manually filter through everything. Hence, I need search function, which is not working properly. Everything is synced and updated to last version of evernote. 

I don't want to repeat myself but:

On 8/24/2021 at 9:09 AM, Mike P said:

I would check the notes are present on the web version and also check the search on the web version. That eliminates any issues with syncing etc. 

Have you done this?

• Like 1

Alright, so I have Evernote installed on the phone and computer. In a basic plan, I have only access to 2 devices. I tried to login to website version, but it say that I can't use it because of other 2 devices (or I need to update plan). So I guess your solution would not work for me?

2 minutes ago, romanrusso said:

So I guess your solution would not work for me?

Not really a solution - more problem solving.

Do you have V10 on your phone or are you still using the old version? Does the search work and are the notes present on the phone? Some people have suggested that logging out of the desktop version after unticking tools -> preferences -> save data at log out may solve the problem as it forces a resync. I would normally recommend contacting support if basic troubleshooting doesn't work but obviously that is not an option in your case.

• Level 5

@romanrusso About your search problem - could you post an example here ?

We talked a lot about old notes and stuff in this thread, but I would rather prefer to get a better idea of what we are talking about. 

I don’t really think that notes by just being old are not searchable any longer.

• Level 5

"***Books" is not "Books".

EN search only finds characters at the beginning of words. When a word is embedded, it is not found.

This is not new, it is the same in legacy.

The star does not work as a wildcard when embedded into a title or note text. You should be able to find the note when searching for ***Books.

3 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

***Books" is not "Books".

EN search only finds characters at the beginning of words. When a word is embedded, it is not found.

As far as I can see the title of his note is *** Books (with a space) not ***Books so I'm not sure your explanation can be right.

@romanrusso have you tried

intitle:books

I know it shouldn't make a difference but it would be interesting to try.

1 minute ago, romanrusso said:
intitle:books

This didn't work. Also, search function should not be too complicated and it should work same as in word or any other program in my opinion...

I'm not that surprised but it was worth a try. Personally i avoid wildcard characters (* and ?) in titles, file names etc because it never ends well. That's not just an EN thing but a gneral rule of thumb for all programs..

Having said that i put three stars follwed by a space at the beginning of some note titles and EN found them with no problem so i'm not sure that is the problem. 

All I can suggest is what I said before:

On 8/26/2021 at 10:28 AM, Mike P said:

Do you have V10 on your phone or are you still using the old version? Does the search work and are the notes present on the phone? Some people have suggested that logging out of the desktop version after unticking tools -> preferences -> save data at log out may solve the problem as it forces a resync. I would normally recommend contacting support if basic troubleshooting doesn't work but obviously that is not an option in your case.

• 1 month later...