Linux client

MazdaBoi

Idea

Greetings!

I have been a user of Evernote for a number of years now. It's a great product.

In my work life, I am forced to use Windows on my workstation, and am provided with OneNote. At first I was resistant, but since Evernote is blocked by corporate policy, I gave it a shot. And I came to find that a native application such as OneNote on Windows is amazing.

I know Evernote offers native clients for Windows, and Mac, and Android, and iOS... But you are missing one major player... Linux.... In my personal life, I use Linux on all of my boxes. And as I'm sure you are aware, native note taking apps for Linux are woefully lacking. Evernote's web app is handy, and is moderately usable. But in all honesty, it does not compare to something like the native OneNote client. And to be fair, the OneNote web app does not compare to a native app, either. I can't say I have any experience with your native Windows app, since I don't have any desire to run Windows at home.

I joined the Evernote Early Access Program, hoping that I could be a part of beta testing a Linux client. And to my disappointment, it doesn't seem that any such beta testing is ongoing, as I've not been contacted by the EAP team.

My suggestion/request is this... Please release a native Linux client for Evernote. We need a decent note-taking application. You could fill that void. The Linux market is not as niche as it used to be, and even non-technical users are starting to make the switch. Take advantage of that.

I would have been paying for Evernote's Premium service for years now, if you offered a Linux client. I'd pay the yearly fee right now without pausing. I'm betting I'm not the only person who would happily do so.

Thank you for your time and consideration!

• Like 4

17 replies to this idea

I've been using the beta version of an Evernote client for Linux for several months and it's been working out well for me.

https://evernote.com/intl/us/b1433t1422

The beta is still open (as far as I know) as I just used this link to install the beta on a new machine.  (I was hoping to get the ability to select multiple notes for movement to a different notebook and, sure enough, the capability exists within the beta; ctrl+click is your friend).

EDIT:  For what it's worth, this beta Linux (10.7.6) version also works mighty fine to bring a proper Evernote client to my Chromebook (an Acer Spin 713, Evernote  installed as a Linux app)

• Like 2

It seems like its on the way! That is, at least according to a blog post I saw from last year and some forum posts I just saw with a search.

I also use Linux all day every day in my personal life as well as my life as a PhD student (the boundaries between these are often blurry 😅). Since I'm at home all the time (studying via distance + Melbourne lockdown), the Web App is all I can use. Installing it from the Snap store was definitely a breeze but I'm eager for a native app as I've never used one for Evernote.

I signed up and started using Evernote pretty recently and am really happy with it so far. There are plenty of features I could see really making my life easier if they were added, but for now I'm just so happy to have an app like this. As someone who was diagnosed and medicated with ADHD recently after years of struggling with a variety of mental health issues caused in-part by disorganisation and focussing problems, a tool like Evernote honestly has had some life-changing ramifications!

All this to say, I 100% agree and would like to add my support to Evernote releasing a native Linux client soon. I've also signed up for the beta on Linux but I'm guessing they aren't taking too many new testers as I haven't heard anything. If an Evernote dev sees this though, I'd be more than happy to help and provide suggestions! I'm a Computer Science PhD student with a background in web development and data science who relies on the program a lot, so I might be a useful test subject!

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

A Linux client would be nice, that is true. One of my use cases is to use EN to transport code snippets between devices.

Currently the web client is a good alternative. It has nearly all of the clients features, and it runs nicely even on a weaker machine. Works fine even on my Raspberry Pi !

Mish: I too deal with ADD, and I'd forget my name if I wasn't making notes... Historically I used 3x5 cards. Then I started using OneNote at work, and Evernote on my phone. Definitely helps me stay on track. No longer medicated here, so I need all the help I can get.

PinkElephant: Maybe I'll have to give the web client another chance.

Thank you both!

• Like 2

Thanks for the links in this thread - I've been using Evernote on Linux for 12 years, relying on the web client and Nixnote (sadly no longer maintained) to keep my work life in order. Been waiting patiently waiting for the invite to test the beta - this thread may well be life changing...

@jiho lee Thank you for packaging the app for linux. Its greatly appreciated. Just installed and works great!

I had been using Joplin for note taking, simply because I wanted a native app instead of a web app.

Had been holding out on paying for a full Evernote account because of the lack of a linux client. But now that there is one, I have no reason to not get the full account!

Thank you!

On 9/4/2021 at 6:30 PM, TomWitt said:

I've been using the beta version of an Evernote client for Linux for several months and it's been working out well for me.

https://evernote.com/intl/us/b1433t1422

The beta is still open (as far as I know) as I just used this link to install the beta on a new machine.  (I was hoping to get the ability to select multiple notes for movement to a different notebook and, sure enough, the capability exists within the beta; ctrl+click is your friend).

EDIT:  For what it's worth, this beta Linux (10.7.6) version also works mighty fine to bring a proper Evernote client to my Chromebook (an Acer Spin 713, Evernote  installed as a Linux app)

Hey Tom,

Quick question - does the link to the "private forum" work for you? I've joined the linux beta but cannot access the forums. Just tells me that the link does not exist.

Hi All, I signed up for the Linux beta client program about a month ago.  I got the email yesterday with a link to get through the legal stuff and downloaded a Linux client.

Since I just downloaded it I can't attest to it's features.  

I use OneNote in my day job where Windows rules.  It is good.  Real good.  I would be totally lost without it.  I don't know if there's a OneNote client for my phone... maybe I don't want to know, but I love the evernote ios client.  I was forced to look for an alternative to OneNote a few years back when the company I was working for at the time dumped O365 and went Google.

I'm running the beta on Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS.

I'm not new to Linux; I was building systems out of the 0.1x releases in the early '90s.  But I had a huge gap since then of not using it so I'm learning many of the new features... and how to do things.  You know longer have to compile/make the source code to install a new program :)

I recently dumped my Windows personal machine when I got bitlockered out after one of the many software updates.  For no reason it decided it was time to validate my access... which I didn't have... the bitlocker was installed by my former employer who went out of business.  Thanks C-19.

44 minutes ago, dv.trpn said:

I'm not new to Linux; I was building systems out of the 0.1x releases in the early '90s.  But I had a huge gap since then of not using it so I'm learning many of the new features... and how to do things.  You know longer have to compile/make the source code to install a new program :)

Sounds like my history. Started back in the mid 90's. After a few months of breaking it and reinstalling, I finally decided that when I broke it, I'd learn how to fix it instead of a fresh install. And that decision was the day that changed my future. Have been using it ever since both personally and professionally.

My how things have changed though. Used to also compile everything from source (even had an affair with Gentoo for a while) but now I just accept the convenience of using the precompiled binaries for most software. Thanks to individuals like @jiho lee such conveniences exist.

Know what you're saying about OneNote. I'm forced to use Windows as my desktop OS at work, and got used to OneNote too. As much as I didn't want to like it, I ended up appreciating it and then looking for a similar solution for my personal life. I too just started using the Evernote desktop app for linux, so cant really comment just yet. But so far, so good! Its based on Electron, so essentially web technology bundled into a desktop platform.

Post back what you think about it if you get a chance. Would like to hear your thoughts.

Good to know the mods are watching this thread - I finally got a formal invite to the official beta. @mrmrw I also can't see the forum for feedback though. So far, @jiho lee 's package seems like the best option though - the official app doesn't seem to recognise my account type and shuts out paid-for features (like tasks). Awesome work

• Like 1