Weird characters are added to / printed in my note when entering a shortcut

Go to solution Solved by agsteele,

When activating short cuts, i.e. ctrl+alt+ T, a character is added to / printed in my note, i.e. þ.
After that the shortcut works properly.

How can I avoid this happening?

Examples:
Ctrl+Alt+T (Labels) => þ
Ctrl+Alt+L (Internal link) => ø
Ctrl+Alt+3 (Open tasks) => ³

Thanks for your response.

What I mean is that when I enter for instance CTRL+ALT+T on my keyboard, the response of the Evernote app is printing the character þ in my note and opening the dialogue window for labels. The last is intended.

Printing the þ character does not happen in Evernote Legacy or any other app when entering CTRL+ALT+T on the keyboard.

It happens every time I use a shortcut. I use mostly CTRL+ALT+T and CTRL+ALT+L. 

The default language of my laptop is Dutch.

For testing purposes I entered CTRL+ALT+T and CTRL+ALT+L in Notebook. The app returns þ and ø. As a matter of fact, it happens when entering these 'shortcuts' in this window. This is intended, I assume. No problem here.
So, for me it is clear that Evernote v10 passes the 'keycode' to another app, probably Windows, while it should not (I don't know how this works) and at the same time it executes the shortcut as it should. When finished with the intended operation, I have to delete this character with backspace.

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert
  • Solution

Could you temporarily change your default anguage to English and then see if you get the same issue.  This feels like it may be an OS/Evernote conflict or possibly a conflict with another application.  Do you get the issue with other shortcuts or just Ctrl+Alt+T/L? Change language and reboot your PC.  See what happens then change language back to Dutch and reboot.

If this isn't happening with your device and keyboard working in English then that might highlight a language issue.

You might quit the Evernote legacy program if you have that running.  I've experienced problems having the same shortcut running in Legacy and v10.  If that works then change or disable the shortcut in Legacy.

You could also change the Evernote shortcut to something else, again as a temporary test and see what happens.  Try something really unusual such ALT+Shift+= which isn't likely to be used by any other application or the OS.

A reminder that you can change the Evernote shortcuts: Ctrl+/ then select the ... menu item that appears when you point at the shortcut and select Edit.

• Thanks 1

Could you temporarily change your default anguage to English and then see if you get the same issue. 

I changed the default language from Dutch to English (US).
The problem seems to be solved. The shortcuts I frequently use now work in the proper way, i.e. without printing ' weird characters'  in the current note.

For your information: Legacy seems to stay working normally after the change of default language.
Legacy and v10 work well when running at the same time in case of the default language is English (US).

Thanks very much for your help! I'm grateful.

• Evernote Expert

@PitakM I am flattered that you consider my answer a solution.  I'd say it was a step along the way ;)  The thing to try now is to revert to Dutch and try changing the shortcuts in Evernote 10 to something else obscure as suggested above.  You may find it is EN10 and the OS language pack that are conflicting and a change of keys would do the trick.

Whatever, you should avoid having the same shortcusts live in both legacy and v10.  They may easily conflict.

Glad to have been some help...

The sacrifice which I must make, I just discovered,  when using the English (US) as default language is that I cannot use the French characters like é and others which appear in Dutch frequently.

So, for the time being, I will use Dutch as default language and elaborate on your advise to change the shortcuts as you proposed. 

Still, I'm grateful, because I know more about the issue and have clues to deal with it. 

• Like 2