Can I Archive Notebooks?

I would like to clean up my notebooks. I have several that I no longer use. I don't want to delete them all, and I don't want to combine them all in a single notebook because if I ever need them I'd like to access them by notebook).

I am having trouble finding a way to do this. Is it possible?

Thanks,

-billb

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Evernote does not have an archive function

My process with notebooks/tags is to prefix the name with an x     
The entry is still in the list, but sorts to the bottom

I also flag notes by assigning a tag (!Archive)   
This allows the notes to be excluded from searches

• Like 1
4 hours ago, hellobill said:

I would like to clean up my notebooks. I have several that I no longer use. I don't want to delete them all, and I don't want to combine them all in a single notebook because if I ever need them I'd like to access them by notebook).

I am having trouble finding a way to do this. Is it possible?

Thanks,

-billb

I have in the past exported all the notes that I want to archive and then put the enex file somewhere safe. I have then deleted the notes. If I do want them again I can import them. Compared with @DTLow's excellent suggestions this is more for things that you are 99% certain you will not need to access but can't quite bring yourself to delete!

5 hours ago, hellobill said:

I don't want to delete them all, and I don't want to combine them all in a single notebook because if I ever need them I'd like to access them by notebook).

Another suggestion might be to put the notebooks in an archive stack rather than @DTLow's suggestion of an archive tag. The only advantage being that it's quicker than tagging each note. You can then exclude the archived notebooks (in the stack called archive) from the search using

-stack:archive

This works for me. although based on the (now very out of date) search syntax documentation it probably shouldn't!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

+1 for this feature 

Would be great to be able to archive notebooks without requiring workarounds.

Such as a toggle of Hide/Show Archived Notebooks which would show under an 'Archive' Stack 

Archived notes could by default not show in search results unless 'Show' archived notebooks selected

On 8/2/2021 at 10:06 AM, Mike P said:

Another suggestion might be to put the notebooks in an archive stack rather than @DTLow's suggestion of an archive tag. The only advantage being that it's quicker than tagging each note. You can then exclude the archived notebooks (in the stack called archive) from the search using

-stack:archive

This works for me. although based on the (now very out of date) search syntax documentation it probably shouldn't!

This solution works around the 50 notes limit as well when you need to tag all notes from a notebook 🙂

• Like 1