Can't create a new Note on the app version

I was very dismayed to be locked out of my notes on 7/22/21 when I received the syncing error message and then tried to find out what was going on by logging into the web. This coerced me into signing up for a paid plan (I've had the free plan since 2014) because apparently I now was connected to 3 devices (my computer app, my phone, and the web). 

At least now I can access my notes on the web, but neither the Mac app nor the iPhone app will allow me to create a new note. I'm very frustrated! Is there a fix for this? I did sign up for the Personal Plan... against my will.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Hi.  You've had free access to Evernote's app,  syncing and web storage servers for several years without any contribution toward the cost of running those services.  A lot of people have had the same access.  Evernote apparently has decided that in our current economy they'd rather be paid. 

You could have reduced the number of devices you use to remain a free client - but I suspect the company will continue to try to ensure that the free account level is for short-term trials rather than long-term use.  One advantage of subscribing is that it comes with email support... Evernote Help & Learning Overview 

Thanks for the response, gazumped. I can appreciate that they'd rather be paid. But this change came with NO WARNING and just suddenly in the midst of creating a note on one of my TWO devices.

I only signed in online in order to try to find out what was going on. At that point, it decided that i now had THREE devices connected and forced the paid option on me.

But that's not the only problem! I did sign up for the paid program and I STILL cannot create a new note on my Mac app. So, still frustrated.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, LusciouaLovely said:

But that's not the only problem! I did sign up for the paid program and I STILL cannot create a new note

I did point out you now qualify for email support... https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new

Pending any response you get there - are you now accepted as a subscriber?  Have you tried logging out of Evernote and back in?  Restarting your device?  How are you looking to create a new note and what exactly happens when you try?

Hi again. I can now create notes on the iPhone and on the web, but not on the actual app that I always used to use which is on the Mac. I have logged out repeatedly. I have restarted many times. When I click on the Evernote icon, it brings up my notes to the last one I tried to create and I can look at previous notes too.

I just can't create a new note. I click on the green + button and nothing happens. I click on "File > New Note" and nothing happens.

Where and when did you get the Evernote app on your Mac? (From the app store recently?)

I would think to try and delete the app and reinstall if you haven't tried that already.

Hi Boot17,

I downloaded my app in 2014 and have never had a problem until now. I believe it has updated several times since then.

I deleted it like you suggested and then went to the app store to reinstall. The only option it gave me was to "open." Nothing changed. I still can't use it for new notes. =(

• Level 5

Maybe something got garbled up on your Mac. To be on the safe side try a complete uninstall.

Get the app AppCleaner, free on the internet. Install it.

Open it, pull the EN icon to it. It will list all program components, some checked, some unchecked. Check them all, scroll down for the hidden ones. Execute the uninstall.

Should do without, but at this point it would be good to restart the Mac.

Go to the EN website, get the app from there and install it on your Mac. The AppStore version runs in a Sandbox, which can create problems.

After installing make sure EN has all checks set in the Macs Security settings, tab Privacy. Go down the list of settings, and wherever you find EN, enable it.

You now installed the version 10 client. When subscribed to a plan you can use more clients. There is the old version as well, now called legacy, which can be installed side by side with v10.

Thank you, PinkElephant.

Obviously I'm not a techie sort of person at all!!! I got the AppCleaner installed. When I open it, I get a little box that says to drag the app HERE. Check. Check.

When I try to pull the app into the box, it just spits it right back out. GAAAAAAHHHHHH! 

I have to admit that when I first went to the app store to try to reinstall EN and it then gave me yet another icon, I trashed the original one. Don't know if that messed things up even further. But, damn.

• Level 5

No good idea how to trouble shoot this by remote control.

When you say the only option the AppStore gave you was to „open“ (the post above my first one here)), it clearly means you still had it installed, it was not gone. If it would have been, the option would have been something like „reinstall“.

Without getting rid of what was installed I don‘t think the problem can be solved.

First step (I haven’t described it) is probably to log out of EN in the client. When done, quit the app (cmd-q).

When you open the „Programs“ folder in the finder, it there an EN icon ? What happens when you pull it to the trash bin ? Usually it should uninstall the app (not as thoroughly as the AppCleaner).