not using default pdf viewer

Go to solution Solved by agsteele,

I'm on EN v10.14 on Windows 10. When I double-click a PDF in a note, it asks me what application I want to use to open it. When I double-click a PDF from my desktop, it opens as expected in Acrobat.

Also, when I right click a PDF that is stored in a note as an attachment, sometimes it drops of the .pdf extension on the file. 

In both cases I can still open it with EN's edit & annotate tool.

• Evernote Expert
  • Solution

THis is an issue with the Windows desktop application.  Depending upon how you added the PDF to the note, sometimes the filename is stripped of its file suffix. Eg: filename.pdf becomes filename

You've discovered that this is the case for you. Right click on the PDF and select Rename and add .pdf to the end of the name. That should fix the default program open issue.  I get this when adding PDFs from my scanner and also adding a PDF by sendto or dropping on the desktop shortcut.

• 2 months later...
  • Evernote Expert

v10.19.2 released today introduces the automatic creation of a sendto link - very helpful EXCEPT the file sent to Evernote has its file suffix stripped when the document arrives inside Evernote. That means that, later, should I want to open the document in a native program (eg open a Word document inside Word) the open process fails because Windows requires the file suffix which has been stripped off. Similarly with PDF files.

I understand that MacOS doesn't suffer this limitation. So using the new SENDTO option means that I need to rename the document inside the note to add the missing file suffix.

I can't help feeling that the development environment is on Macs so none of the devs realise that this is an issue ;)

Support ticket on its way

• Level 5

To add something productive:

On the Mac I see „Open“, not „Open With …“. Maybe because the file type is recognized (but I see extensions as well).

If it is a pdf, the Preview app is used to open it, which I have set as a standard on my Mac for pdf. It is part of MacOS and has very nice editing tools. What blows me away - yes, enthusiasm 🤩 - when I hit „Close“ in Preview, my changes are saved back to the original pdf in EN.

Works with other file types as well.

For me this is the best come back so far, and another important feature that made me use legacy.

• Evernote Expert

Support was very helpful. The pretty standard File | Sign Out | Remove Evernote Data fixed this with the new 'sendto'.

Another issue off my list taking me a step closer to being able to drop Legacy. ;)

On 8/18/2021 at 9:12 AM, PinkElephant said:

Maybe because the file type is recognized (but I see extensions as well).

There is a difference, as I understand, between Windows and MacOS (well many but let's not go there...) MacOS doesn't require a file suffix to identify the program to 'open with' whereas it is essential in Windows. Without the suffix Evernote stil know that the file is, for example, a PDF but when selecting the Open menu in a note the file has no program to Open With and I had to manually select Acrobat whereas if renamed to have the suffix then Windows worked seamlessly.

The good news is that v 10.19.2 seems to have fixed the issue for Windows users - thanks.  Now I can sendto AND scan into Evernote and the file suffix is retained ;)

• Level 5

Well, the 3 character extensions Windows is still using as a main (?! 🤣 ) control element reach back into MS-DOS-days, where we were all struggling to code as much information as possible into a cryptic 8-character file name. That is „legacy“, Microsoft-style, no doubt.

On the Mac I don‘t see a way to change the application used to open a specific file type, because there is no „Open with …“ offered. Works fine for me, for most file types.

For a few I could make use of it, like opening MS Office files depending of what works best to edit it (Apple „Office“ or LibreOffice, for example).