Create app links (not web links) to other notes on Android

Go to solution Solved by ghon,

Is there any word on a plan or the timing to allow the creation of app links to other notes on Android? The Windows and web versions let you create app links, but not Android. So if I create/edit a note on Android and it involves a link to another note, when I open the note later on my PC I'll encounter a web link instead of an app link.

As it is, I end up having to spend additional time at a later point revising notes created/edited on Android so that they function properly (or at least in line with my preference - I don't want EN to open a browser just to go to a linked note).

• Like 1

I crashed into this as well some weeks ago and contacted support as the german translation indicates in app links not web links. EN 8.13.3 creates in app links. They implemented the wrong link. I pointed out, that we should even expect both link options on mobile as well. I got the standard text block I often read (not implemented, thank you for your suggestion) nothing individually written...they did not even understand that they implemented the wrong internal link creation. I think they just closed the case. Wasted time.

Another reason I keep sticking with EN 8.13.3 - until Evernote will (hopefully?) do some substantial progress on Android. But at the moment it is very quiet. This month we will see no official updates...

• 1 year later...
On 5/26/2021 at 4:50 PM, gadgetfan said:

Is there any word on a plan or the timing to allow the creation of app links to other notes on Android? The Windows and web versions let you create app links, but not Android. So if I create/edit a note on Android and it involves a link to another note, when I open the note later on my PC I'll encounter a web link instead of an app link.

As it is, I end up having to spend additional time at a later point revising notes created/edited on Android so that they function properly (or at least in line with my preference - I don't want EN to open a browser just to go to a linked note).

This is one of my biggest gripes with Evernote Android at the moment. I'm a very heavy user with thousands of notes, dictating notes everyday. I need to be able to link to other notes on a daily basis, not note pages on evernote.com. That really slows me down.

EN for Android handles in-app-links perfectly (created on web or desktop), it simply cannot create them. I once asked support why, and they answered, that they did not add this feature to the app yet. They confirmed the missing feature parity and thanked for my suggestion 😉. But even the irritation naming (at least in german localisation) with "copy internal link" (translated) was never changed to "copy internal web link" (naming parity). Obviously not in scope.

• Solution

You can create internal note links on android and on ios as well:

Just use the note link function, which you get from the note menu (accessible through the plus sign in the lower left corner)

image.thumb.png.793261dfae5d8c99e9d6196f0770cf17.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for that hint 👍🏼. Nice! Being a workaround that needs a search action you can achieve an in-app-link this way even on mobile, too 🙂

Would be nice if they eventually added the copy-internal-in-app-link functionality to the three-dot-menu within a note as well to prevent cluttering in feature/design-parity (which was on the goals for the EN10 overhaul)

22 minutes ago, ghon said:

You can create internal note links on android and on ios as well:

Just use the note link function, which you get from the note menu (accessible through the plus sign in the lower left corner)

image.thumb.png.793261dfae5d8c99e9d6196f0770cf17.png

This is the correct answer, at least for now. It's functionality that was just introduced last month, if I remember correctly.

To be honest, I had forgotten about this thread and didn't think to come back to update it.

12 minutes ago, Alxa said:

Would be nice if they eventually added the copy-internal-in-app-link functionality to the three-dot-menu within a note as well to prevent cluttering in feature/design-parity (which was on the goals for the EN10 overhaul)

I agree with this completely.