Update note links within a note when the linked not changes or is deleted.

fragefrank

Idea

4 replies to this idea

I liked the idea of somehow highlighting when a note has changed or some indication of the current note title, but I would not be happy if the anchor text for all of my linked notes changed every time a note updates. 

Related to this request for better syncing of info between linked notes would be the addition of a back links section. Even if it is “buried” in the note info, it would be great to easily see a list of all other notes that link to ab specific note. 

• Level 5*
On 4/17/2021 at 2:57 AM, fragefrank said:

doesn't update when the linked not changes its title

Most of my links differ from the actual note title   
I would not want them updated when the note title changes

>>or is deleted. Update note links within a note accordingly. 

I have experienced broken links when a note is deleted    
What kind of update would you like to see?

5 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Most of my links differ from the actual note title   
I would not want them updated when the note title changes

>>or is deleted. Update note links within a note accordingly. 

I have experienced broken links when a note is deleted    
What kind of update would you like to see?

Perhaps making this an optional setting or preference would be good. 

I want the displayed text of a link to always reflect the actual title of a note. Update if it changes, and **indicate** broken links when the note is deleted. 

This is for a workflow of progressively building a second brain. When curating notes, note titles do dynamically change as the knowledge grows. They become more specific, more general, or change entirely, etc. Yet if the linked titles to the notes don't reflect this dynamics, it becomes inconsistent and unusable.

Currently, if a note is linked, you should not change it's title. At the same time, you don't even know IF a note is linked. So basically, to keep consistency, currently one either shouldn't link so one can change note titles, or one shouldn't change note titles so one can link. Both doesn't make much sense.

On 4/20/2021 at 11:47 AM, fragefrank said:

Perhaps making this an optional setting or preference would be good. 

I could see this being implemented similar to how the Google Doc and YouTube links are handled, where it defaults to a “live” embedded link with updating title (and back link displayed on the target note), but provide a menu or option to convert the “live” link to a standard link... and consider it a standard link anytime anyone creates it using the normal link method with anchor text. 

I fv they do this, they better not mess with existing links, and just make it an option moving forward.