alt-ctrl-V: A useful tool but it is inconsistent

alt-ctrl-V is the new global shortcut to paste into EN. When it works it creates a new note containing the contents of the clipboard even if EN is in the background. It's a really useful tool (as it was in the legacy version) but it seems to be inconsistent. The release notes says it pastes text.  However in my experience sometimes it pastes images but will not paste text. Here are my observations so far:

• Copying a chunk of text or an image from a website normally works fine.
  • Copying a chunk of text and an image - nothing happens
  • Copying text from a pdf doesn't work
  • Copying text from a word doc works
  • Copying text and an image from a word document only pastes the text
  • Copying an image from a word document doesn't work
  • Copying fixed width text from a local html file doesn't work

In all these cases manually pasting into a new or existing note works fine. The text only examples can even be successfully pasted into notepad. Is this reproducible by other users or is just me?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tried a few of these - with pretty much the same results.

Copying from a word document worked for plain text, but if there was any formatting - even paragraphs - then it failed.

So, in practice it's hit & miss - useful when it works, but unreliable.

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert

My experience too. It isn't a shortcut I think I have ever used.

One additional 'failure'.  I took text from a PDF and tried the action with the results @Mike P reports. As a shortcut, I then opened a blank document in Word and pasted the PDF content there. I then highlighted and copied that Word document to the clipboard and the alt+ctrl+V option still did not work.  I made an edit in the text inside Word and repeated the process.  THis then functioned as described.

• Like 2

This shortcut must have the option of being turned off!

I use Ctrl+Alt+V on Excel a lot (paste special) and now I can't use it when Evernote is on the tray!!

Every new version, more issues!!! How hard is it just to give us the option of turning it Off???

On 3/13/2021 at 6:06 PM, RafaelVega said:

How hard is it just to give us the option of turning it Off???

Not hard at all which is why there is the option to disable it. Open the keyboard shortcuts (ctr-/ or the keyboard icon at the bottom of the sidebar in the latest version). Click on the three dots and choose disable.

image.png.498415987a786ec6ddc11e859b951418.png