Anyone worried about support ending for Fujitsu ScanSnap iX500?

My beautiful Fujitsu ScanSnap iX500 was discontinued some time ago.

image.png.19632ade987e2de610ba05b223cc7542.png

The next generation is the Fujitsu ScanSnap iX1500.

image.png.24b53ea5244e6cddb2707fcdc8884c49.png

The iX1500 might have a few new features or improvements; but if you look at the reviews, not everyone likes it as much as they did the ix500. Personally, the iX500 does everything I need it to do. These scanners are not cheap to replace; and don't even get me started on how the iX500 (and its sexy blue light) looks so much better and more expensive looking than the iX1500, which could pass for a child's toy.

Needless to say, I had no intentions of replacing my iX500 with it's ugly new descendant, the iX1500; therefore, since I 've had my iX500 for around 7 years, I thought I should start perusing craigslist for a gently used backup iX500.

Then I saw this: support ending for the iX500 after January 31, 2024

Specifically, the top of the page states, "The following table shows the ScanSnap discontinued scanners and their support end dates. After the support end dates, hardware repairs and software updates including driver updates are no longer provided".

It really sucks that so many nice iX500 scanners could conceivably become a brick in the near future.

I'm curious, of what this actually means and how long after 1/31/24 I might expect my scanner to become useless (or my scanner software to pose a security threat)?

Best, 

Jody

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

I'm in the same boat as you @JodyHeath.Com I think it's crazy what Fujitsu are doing / have decided to do regarding the ix500. The only thing we can do after 2024 is use it offline, connecting it directly to a laptop or desktop. Plus also make sure we have good copies of the drivers somewhere we can always retrieve them should we experience a failure. What else is there for us, beyond a decision change from the powers that be - at Fujitsu?

A few months ago, I was on a similar site to CraigsList in the UK called TrashNothing - the focus being to avoid things going into landfill. Anyway, someone had listed an office clearance - everything was going - FOR FREE!!! I saw an ix500 - in near mint condition according to what I could see at least... but I was too slow, it had already gone by the time I had reached out to the OP. Gutted! I would have snapped it up and kept it for use or at the very least parts should my original eventually fall over.

• Level 5

Don’t worry, be happy.

Software will continue to work, the scanner will scan. Ending support just means a freeze of what we have currently. And a Scanner does not need to be exposed to the internet, no real security issues.

And ok - boooooh Fujitsu !

• 10 months later...

I have a good 6 year old IX500 and have been scanning seamlessly via Wifi with a push of a button (without needing the laptop) directly to Evernote. 
As most of you know, Evernote only allows ScanSnap connectivity for one year, so every 12 months I need to login and update the ScanSnap authorization at Evernote side. 

However during a recently, I downloaded the new 2023 ScanSnap software (MacOS 13) but could not find the "ScanSnap Cloud" icon anywhere or means to connect.
Now I can only scan directly to Evernote when my laptop is within Wifi, with ScanSnap software running. 
And the IX500 LED button is no longer purple (just the regular blue). 

Seeking help from this experienced forum is appreciated. Thank you. 

• Evernote Expert

ScanSnap Cloud has become ScanSnap Home. I don't use it or Cloud. I kept on with the older ScanSnap Manager and have never done anything trying to scan to the Cloud.

You could explore scanning to a service like Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive or similar. Then create a directory there for your scans. Make the directory on your laptop an Import Folder then when you fire up the laptop Evernote should import everything waiting in the directory.

• Level 5

Usually the ScanSnap Software runs on a connected computer. It needed to be on to allow for scanning.

ScanSnap Cloud installed on a smartphone, and connected via WiFi to the scanner. It then received the scan, and could send it to a cloud storage of your choice. EN was among the options - this allowed to scan without ramping up the computer.

I didn’t use it much, since my Mac Mini M1 has nearly no rampup time. I switch it on, and it’s there on a moment. I prefer this solution, because it performs an OCR and creates „good“ note titles when send through the import folder.