What happened to Sync?

Am I missing something here, but where is Sync in ENv10?  This is a crucial feature which not only let's me feel that know that everything is synched but it's also a way to check if emails or  were properly brought over from Gmail to EN.   About 5 minutes ago I saved a pdf to EN and then waited for about 5 minutes before I saw it appear in v10.  In the meanwhile I noticed that it appeared instantaneously in the Legacy version.  So, not only is it not possible to force a sync but it also appears as if it takes longer for items to show up in the inbox.

• Like 6

I wondered this to.. from the help pages: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360053951453

(I'm assuming that the reference to the sync button is for a previous version?)

Changes made to a note are periodically saved automatically. To sync immediately, click the sync button at the top of the app.

Note: The option to sync immediately on demand is not available in the new Evernote for Windows, as changes will be saved automatically. You will see "All changes saved" in the bottom right corner of Evernote once changes have been saved.

The problem here is not that I am concerned that it will not sync automatically.  The issue is that there are a lot of times when you can not verify if a change has been made unless a sync is forced.  For example, one of the things that I do every day is to send emails over from gmail to evernote.  Normally, I would do that and wait a minute or two before doing a forced sync.  I would then see it pop up in my inbox in EN.  Now I wait 15 minutes and do not see it arrive.  Therefore, I don't know if I should do it again or keep waiting.  Not optimal at all.

• Like 4

I'm with ya, I would like to see that manual sync also to make sure it's completed.  Trust but verify.  

Edit for update:  boy, as I'm getting back into my evernote habits after recently coming back from onenote--I sure do miss that force sync button when emailing docs into evernote!!

• Like 2

This is a serious enough problem that I have been using the legacy version ever since early December. I periodically check the support forum and also open Evernote's current version to see whether this has been addressed, and I'm so disappointed that it has not.

Here is the big issue for me: I'm looking at Evernote Windows current version now, and none of the changes I've made on my android Evernote are reflected there. Sure, there is the "All changes saved" notice at the bottom right, but it's just not true across devices. Nothing I did on my phone last night is reflected on the Windows version, more than 8 hours later. Even after I close the current version, open and sync the legacy Windows version, and then re-open the new version, the new version shows old information. 

The new version renders the app useless.

• Like 2

Beth Lee's post is correct.  The versions do not get synced together properly and this negates the entire purpose of using Evernote in the first place.  In the past I used to use EN at home, at work and on my android.  Occasionally I would also use it on my ipad.  In every case I would simply hit sync and the information would be synced to every device.  Actually this still works well on every version other than the new desktop version (10.*).  This is unusual because that version was designed to look almost identical to the android version, but you CAN sync the android version at will.  Until this problem is fixed there is no possibility of using v10.

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...

I don't see anywhere where it says the note has been synced and I don't have a sync button. Considerings with note conflicts and that evernote DOES NOT STILL have a satisfactory way of dealing with note conflicts, they should not be taking away the sync button.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

Just to say this, no sync conflicts, except maybe a handful in the last months. And then for a reason, like changing the same note on 2 devices nearly simultaneously.

Mobile: Manual sync in settings, case closed.

Desktop: No manual sync.

On the bottom right of the EN window is a text in grey, telling „all changes synced“ most of the time, and some other messages while syncing. Sync is automatic.

I would like to get a sync button back, but to believe it has anything to do with note conflicts is not founded by fact. Because it is not not syncing, it is rather syncing all the time. And even if there was a manual sync button, I am pretty sure EN would not wait with syncing until it is pressed.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Interesting that you should revive this post right now.  Yesterday at the very end of the day I did a "copy to evernote" on several important items that  I would need for a trip the next day.  I wanted to shut my computer down for the week but I had no idea if the notes had synced.  I tried closing and opening v10 but I didn't see the notes showing up in my inbox.  After about 5 minutes I simply opened legacy and there they were (they had not appeared in v10 yet).  It's situations like those that make me miss the sync button.

• Level 5

There is a Reload and a Forced Reload option, that can help in exactly that situation.

On a PC hold ctrl, on a Mac alt/opt before clicking on the Help menu. Choose the new entry "Troubleshooting", select Reload or Force Reload. There are keyboard shortcuts to both options as well.