In version 10+ where is my data stored now.

In version 10+ where is my data stored now. I keep hearing that it's no longer on my computer, is this true.

If it is true it raises some important questions.

1. How do I back up my data.

2. Is it encrypted where it's stored.

3. Does anyone else have access to my private data. (I remember Evernote employees did at one stage, is that still true).

I did to a search for the answer to this question but unfortunately could not find a definitive answer, there was lots of confusion amongst users.

• Level 5*

Hi.  In version 10 your notes are held in temporary storage on your local hard drive while the software is in use.  The storage is cleared when the app is closed.  There's an option to retain the temporary store after signout to allow offline use of the app,  but the files kept there are not AFAIK usable by any application other than Evernote.

1. Backup options -

• v10 - right-click each notebook and export an ENEX file of the content
  • v10 or legacy - Use CloudHQ or some other online backup service
  • legacy - use the Legacy app and backup as you (presumably) have been doing.

2. Encrypted?  Don't know - ask Support (good question!) - it's certainly not easily accessible,  which may be good enough...

3. Access?  No.  See Evernote's security and data storage promises online.

• Level 5*
56 minutes ago, MrIllustrator said:

In version 10+ where is my data stored now. I keep hearing that it's no longer on my computer, is this true.

The master version of our data is stored on the Evernote servers
A local copy is stored on our Window/Mac computers
- Option-able in Version 10; enabled in Evernote > Preferences > Save Data

>>1. How do I back up my data.

I use Evernote's export feature
It runs on the local computer.  The data will be downloaded from the server if there's no local data copy

3 hours ago, DTLow said:

A local copy is stored on our Window/Mac computers

Thank you gazumped and DTLow,

You can see, every time I ask this question I get different answers.

I thank you both but haven't you both contradicted each other.

DTLow you say "A local copy is stored on our Window/Mac computers", is it that when you say "Our" you mean you work for Evernote and you mean their computers, not mine.

&

gazumped you say "your notes are held in temporary storage on your local hard drive while the software is in use.  The storage is cleared when the app is closed."

These could be two completely different answers to the question and you are both level 5 with loads of experience. Who's right?

Thank you.

• Level 5*
42 minutes ago, MrIllustrator said:

These could be two completely different answers to the question

Actually they're not. A copy of the database does exist on your computer while you use the v10 app.  It is possible to opt to have that copy retained after you stop using the app,  so that you can see and edit notes when offline.  Otherwise it will be cleaned up (deleted) as the app exits.

43 minutes ago, MrIllustrator said:

I'm not seeing anything if I right click on a notebook

Apologies for that - I can't check because I'm not using v10 but other users have exported their notes to ENEX files on a notebook - by - notebook basis.  Maybe someone else can confirm how that is done...

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, MrIllustrator said:

I'm not seeing anything if I right click on a notebook, I'm running version 10.7.6

No options come up.

I suspect you're working in the Sidebar
Instead, work in the notebook page (click the notebook icon)77972390_ScreenShot2021-02-05at12_12_15.png.86c3449eba157ae7cdbf757624a2768e.png

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Can anyone give a clear answer to the question of where the data for Evernote 10 is stored on my computer? Of course I want it available when I'm offline.

I think it is probably in AppData somewhere.

Evernote 10 seems to be installed in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Programs\Evernote\Evernote.exe rather than in Program Files as earlier versions were.

I think the data may be in "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Evernote" and is no longer stored in a .exb file.

I guess we're reliant on the copy of our data stored by Evernote until/unless Evernote provides a sensible way to backup rather than export each notebook separately.
I've only got about 50 notebooks but exporting each one regularly takes far too much time. Who has an hour a day or week to backup Evernote? Perhaps I should have less notebooks.  I'm just exporting one of my bigger notebooks and it's already more than 5 minutes.
With the old Evernote you could save and replace the folder where the data was stored. I did that when changing computer to save downloading GB of data on a slow internet connection and occasionally at other times - doing it when offline in order to retrieve a note by the dreadful export and then import of a notebook. Now I have a faster connection, I guess it's not so much of a problem and I trust that Evernote has excellent backup but perhaps I need to make sure that I don't delete notes I may later need. It just makes me nervous not to have local backup.

• Level 5*
13 minutes ago, geneakit said:

Can anyone give a clear answer to the question of where the data for Evernote 10 is stored on my computer?

Windows          C:/users/<youraccount>/appdata/roaming /evernote
Mac                     /Users/<youraccount>/Library/Application Support/Evernote

>I think the data may be in "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Evernote" and is no longer stored in a .exb file.

Confirmed

1 minute ago, DTLow said:

Windows          C:/users/<youraccount>/appdata/roaming /evernote
Mac                     /Users/<youraccount>/Library/Application Support/Evernote

>I think the data may be in "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Evernote" and is no longer stored in a .exb file.

Confirmed

Thanks for the confirmation.
I think I'm close to uninstalling Evernote Legacy but will wait a little longer as there are probably features I use that are still not in Evernote 10 that I haven't yet realised are still missing.

• Like 1