Can someone provide exact instructions for installing version 10 without removing the older version?

I'm curious to try version 10 for Mac, but after reading some of the reviews, I'm hesitant to ditch the old version altogether. I've seen references to installing the new version in parallel to the old. I've also seen where some people just lucked into that, and others wish they had done that. Thanks for any specific guidance for a parallel installation of version 10. 

• Level 5*

Hi.  This gives fairly complete instructions to installing a version which is presumably updated to work alongside v10 - https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote.

If you do install the new version (I believe - I haven't tried it!) and you have any unsynced notes in a local notebook,  you will be asked whether you want to import them into a synced notebook.  Your original database of notes however should not be changed - the new version 10 stores it's notes (again - I believe) in a new location.

• Evernote Expert
2 hours ago, jecrensh said:

I'm curious to try version 10 for Mac, but after reading some of the reviews, I'm hesitant to ditch the old version altogether. I've seen references to installing the new version in parallel to the old. I've also seen where some people just lucked into that, and others wish they had done that. Thanks for any specific guidance for a parallel installation of version 10. 

I can't say for Mac - this is the Windows version forum.  On Windows, installing the new version partially removes the older version of Evernote.  It does not remove the data but desktop shortcuts and the like do disappear.  Install version 10 then install the legacy version and you will find shortcuts to both are available. As @gazumped notes, the local notebooks that were available in v6.25 are not available in v10.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

struggling to understand the responses here. i have 6.25 installed. i don't want to uninstall and have to add Legacy back but simply want to keep what i have and add 10 to try. it isn't clear on whether i can do that, and i don't want to risk losing what i have currently.

the instructions provided are for adding back legacy versus simply adding 10.

any assistance is appreciated. thanks

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, Doctorhooru said:

struggling to understand the responses here. i have 6.25 installed. i don't want to uninstall and have to add Legacy back but simply want to keep what i have and add 10 to try. it isn't clear on whether i can do that, and i don't want to risk losing what i have currently.

Hi.  6.25 is 'legacy' but will upgrade to v10 if you decide to try it.  Once updated to v10 you will be able to ADD the 'older version' download referenced above and get back to 6.25 as an additional option.  Basically your choice is either NOT to upgrade,  or to upgrade,  then step back to the older version.  Your choice...

On 1/29/2021 at 5:28 PM, gazumped said:

Hi.  6.25 is 'legacy' but will upgrade to v10 if you decide to try it.  Once updated to v10 you will be able to ADD the 'older version' download referenced above and get back to 6.25 as an additional option.  Basically your choice is either NOT to upgrade,  or to upgrade,  then step back to the older version.  Your choice...

Thought of another choice: leave v6 alone and install the Store version of v10. Because it's a store app, it shouldn't affect your v6 install at all. (Caveat: I have not tried this.)

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
4 hours ago, dcon said:

Thought of another choice: leave v6 alone and install the Store version of v10. Because it's a store app, it shouldn't affect your v6 install at all. (Caveat: I have not tried this.)

What could possibly go wrong?  (Not a serious question) 😃

• Like 1