How can I get the latest version of Evernote?

switters

Idea

I saw that Evernote 10.3 for the Mac was just released. This is what I see in the "About Evernote" menu:

v 10.1.7 build 458354 public
Editor: v109.0.14125
Service: v1.20.26

When I open the App Store, and search for Evernote, it just says "Open". There is no option to update. 

How do I get the latest version, and why didn't it update automatically? 

5 replies to this idea

• Level 5

The version from the AppStore and the version you can download directly are basically the same.

When EN releases an update to their web site and sends it to the AppStore, on the side of Apple there is a process called "notarization". It makes sure that there is no malware in the package. This takes some time.

Another issue with the AppStore download: It is executed in a sandbox, which can create problems. I had trouble with the now called "legacy" version of EN - when I uninstalled and reinstalled the direct download , they were gone. I don't know whether the new app has the same problems.

Conclusion: If you want a new release fast, get it by direkt download. If you don't want to care about it yourself, wait for the AppStore to update.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, DTLow said:

I directly download from www.evernote.com/download328928270_ScreenShot2020-11-10at8_46_47AM.png.02fedc56d8bc58c1ac55f1c24007d6cd.png

Is there no mechanism that automatically updates? If I had the app store version, wouldn't it update itself (assuming I have automatic updates on, which I do)?

And since it isn't updating, does that mean I have the direct download version rather than the app store version? 

1 minute ago, PinkElephant said:

The version from the AppStore and the version you can download directly are basically the same.

When EN releases an update to their web site and sends it to the AppStore, on the side of Apple there is a process called "notarization". It makes sure that there is no malware in the package. This takes some time.

Another issue with the AppStore download: It is executed in a sandbox, which can create problems. I had trouble with the now called "legacy" version of EN - when I uninstalled and reinstalled the direct download , they were gone. I don't know whether the new app has the same problems.

Conclusion: If you want a new release fast, get it by direkt download. If you don't want to care about it yourself, wait for the AppStore to update.

I'm fine with waiting and would prefer the updates to happen automatically. But, given that I'm still on 10.1.7, and 10.3 is the latest version, seems like I missed a version and my app might not be updating automatically anymore? 

Should I delete the current app and then reinstall from app store? 

• Level 5

Personally I prefer the direct download:

https://evernote.com/intl/de/download/

On the AppStore it depends on your settings whether it auto updates.

Because I use a lot of direct downloads, I use the app AppUpdater to keep track of updates. It is not for free, but it helps to keep the software up to date. I can decide whether to update right away, or wait a little. It does not forget if I postpone.