Selecting Parent Tag Searches Children as AND operation instead of OR

I use nested tags for two reasons. Yes, I'm a 2 percenter. I can expand and collapse groups of tags for quicker access and less visual clutter. The other reason is to see groups of notes in broad or more limited subject matter. In 6.25 desktop I can click a parent tag and see all notes assigned to any children tags. The notes don't need to have the parent tag assigned explicitly. Selecting the parent essentially is searching notes for child tag 1 OR child tag 2 OR child tag 3... This is how it should work.

In web client 10.2.1, and I'm guessing other 10.2 clients, I will not install v10 desktop until it is much further along. Selecting a Parent Tag selects all child tags and searches them all with an AND operation. This of course returns no notes. One of my reasons for using the power of nested tags is no longer working.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2020 at 9:47 PM, BriWit said:

In web client 10.2.1, and I'm guessing other 10.2 clients, I will not install v10 desktop until it is much further along. Selecting a Parent Tag selects all child tags and searches them all with an AND operation. This of course returns no notes.

I agree. Why would anybody want to or even remember to tag a note with the parent tag and every single child tag. Madness.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Mike P said:

I agree. Why would anybody want to or even remember to tag a note with the parent tag and every single child tag. Madness.

It's as if few people on the design team or in management are tag users. Apparently few are Android users as well, as six weeks after the iOS release not only is there still no Android app release but Evernote staff has stopped responding in the Android forums. 

• 2 weeks later...

Web client 10.3.1 still searches for ALL children AND parent tag instead of parent OR childtag1 OR childtag2 OR...

Desktop client popped up a notice to update for the latest features and speed improvements. Please stop that until there actually improvements instead of downgrades.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Mike P said:

Seems to be just selecting the single tag clicked in 10.5.1 web. I now get some results! I appreciate that some people would prefer tag1 OR tag2 etc. but I personally prefer this behaviour.

This is a huge improvement over the previous behavior! I quite like it this way as well, but what would make it perfect is if I could CMD-Click (or Ctrl-Click on Windows) to select multiple tags. That way if I ever needed to search a parent tag and one or more subtags, I could quickly CMD-Click to select them.

Additionally, a way to quickly select all child tags in a tree would be useful. I'm imagining something like a double-click on the parent tag, or maybe Option/Alt-click or shift-click on the parent tag auto-selects all the child tags. 

• Like 1

this sounds like something which should be added to the grammar, however i can really understand evernote's reluctance to modify the grammar (to any evernote staff reading: if you do have ideas about modifying the grammar--or introducing a second grammar--i'd have some ideas :D )

3 hours ago, ehrt74 said:

this sounds like something which should be added to the grammar, however i can really understand evernote's reluctance to modify the grammar (to any evernote staff reading: if you do have ideas about modifying the grammar--or introducing a second grammar--i'd have some ideas :D )

I agree. I suppose a consistent naming convention for your tags combined with wild cards would alllow you to do it in the existing search grammar but it would be nice to have a more general way of doing it. I think a proper Boolean search capability would be at the top of my list.

• Like 1