Allow Autostart Settings

ppmartin

Idea

18 replies to this idea

You could just do it yourself:

Autostart a program in Windows 10
  • Press windows key + r.
  • Copy the run command Shell:common startup.
  • It will reach C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup.
  • Creat the shortcut of the program you want to run in startup.
  • Drag and drop.
  • Restart the computer.
  • Level 5*

Since I run a different selection of software depending on what I'm doing,  I have a simple batch file that loads email/evernote/browser or lightroom/photoshop as appropriate.  Evernote have said that 'options' are coming to v10 'soon' - or you could reinstall the legacy version.  (Legacy is available for most OS's except iOS) (Legacy is available for desktops, but not mobiles).

EDIT: correction: sorry!

Thanks for replying. I know I could reinstall the legacy version (I did download the installation file just in case), but I prefer to get used quickly to the new version - warts and all. For now, I simply pinned the Evernote icon on my PCs' task bars, and I open the app from there the first time it is needed during a session.

• Like 1
On 9/30/2021 at 3:47 PM, ppmartin said:

For the record, this issue has long been fixed and I was able to ditch the legacy version months ago as well 😀

Do you made that like Mike P said? Or evernote added this as a new option?

2 hours ago, solarcore said:

Do you made that like Mike P said? Or evernote added this as a new option?

My bad, wrong comment - I removed it: there is still no "Autostart" option.

Having clarified that, the new version is otherwise working fine now, and I have now been using it without problem for several months.

11 hours ago, ppmartin said:

My bad, wrong comment - I removed it: there is still no "Autostart" option.

Having clarified that, the new version is otherwise working fine now, and I have now been using it without problem for several months.

Ok, yes it looks like it works well now. But it would be great that they add this option by default.

Edited by solarcore
error
  • Like 1
  • Evernote Expert
12 hours ago, gazumped said:

? Anybody tried dropping an icon into the Windows Start folder ?

Yes, and it works just as expected with the exception that it isn't possible to start minimised.  I did see a note that the autostart option is on the list of things to be added.

For now, add a shortcut in %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert
20 hours ago, browtch said:

Actually You can auto start a shortcut minimized 

If you right click the shortcut there is a option to start minimized 

Yes, but you will discover that Evernote v10 doesn't start minimised - even with the option selected.

@ppmartin You are correct. However you should still be able to drag and drop a shortcut for the Evernote app from the start menu into the startup folder. Described in the second part of this article. Works with Win 11 too.

https://www.howtogeek.com/364263/how-to-open-windows-store-apps-on-startup-in-windows-10/

• Like 1
4 hours ago, agsteele said:

Yes, but you will discover that Evernote v10 doesn't start minimised - even with the option selected.

@ppmartin You are correct. However you should still be able to drag and drop a shortcut for the Evernote app from the start menu into the startup folder. Described in the second part of this article. Works with Win 11 too.

https://www.howtogeek.com/364263/how-to-open-windows-store-apps-on-startup-in-windows-10/

Thanks, good to know!

I've formatted my PC and reinstalled Evernote and I remembered that there's no in-app option to make it start up with Windows...

Can somebody please explain me how a 10 year old can develop a Windows app with this feature and a mutimillion dollar company like Evernote can't?

Does Windows users really represent so little to you that it's not even worthy to do this? Maybe, but still, it looks bad for Evernote, you know? Looks very amateurish...

Just the 2 cents from a (not anymore) premium user since 2009. 

• Evernote Expert

I suppose that creating shortcuts in the Windows' startup folder was second nature 35 years ago. I didn't think for more than a second before using the OS functions. 

Venting your ire here may have left you feeling that you've expressed your frustration. Unfortunately you've really only spoken to other users. These forums are user to user support.

If you want Evernote to hear your sensible idea then you'll need to open a support ticket.