Shared Notebooks - Note Text is not included in Search Index

I share some notebooks to my wife - she isn‘t able to find anything!

While typing your search criteria you can see some suggestions, pretty cool: some Tags, even some matching note titles, but as soon as you hit the „enter“ button you‘ll see a „no notes found“.

If I type a Tag I can see Evernote recognizes that Tag and suggests it - nice - if I tap on it „no notes found“.

V10 is a nightmare!

• Like 2

and I know what I‘m doing here - that „nothing found“ in shared notebook is a legacy issue, but the pre V10 version had that nice Tag filter - dropped in V10 - so, there was a chance to filter notes in shared notebooks by Tag. Now, no way to search for a Tag, for a Note Title, for nothing - EN became total useless for my wife, Premium subscriber, too

And, in the pre V10 version there was a workaround: just select a notebook and do a search (instead of a global search) there, then all notes were found - if you know what notebook is the right one then this workaround was fine - unfortunately in V10 it doesn‘t matter what filter/notebooks/tags you‘re using: no search results at all!

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Searching in shared notebooks has not changed, compared to before:

• If a notebook was shared to you by another person, you need to be in the shared notebook, so go there by the notebook menu.
  • Now the search function (magnifying glass at the bottom right) does work, but will only find stuff inside of this shared notebook.

If you shared the notebook yourself to another person, it belongs to you, so you don’t need to go there for searching.

Probably you have another issue I had before as well: The notebook is there, but the content does not load. I solved it by going to the WorkChat by which this notebook was shared to my (as well by my wife ...). I opened it, and when I came back to the notebook, I saw it was downloading the previews. A short time later it was there, and the search is working now as described. Probably this could be solved as well by sharing it again from your wife’s account.

• Like 1

thank you for the replay @PinkElephant but no, this is a known issue with the new backend system - you‘re not able to find any note in a shared notebook (I had a ticket open for that - Ticket# 3137068)

I‘ve tried it again a minute again with the Web App: the old version has no issues to find a note titled „blabla“ - the new version tells you „1 note found“ but doesn‘t show the note (it seems it waits endless for the content).

I‘ll try your suggestions in a few minute - hope it helps, thank you again.

hm, there is no work chat notice anymore in V10, only very old ones - I was using „shared with me“ to add the notebooks to my wife‘s notebook list - one of them is even downloaded for offline usage...but not able to find a single note - I see all of them, it even suggests them wile typing the search phrase, but after hitting „enter“ -> no results

I give you an example:

I’m the owner of Notebook:Rebecca, shared with my wife, she has access to it and is able to see all notes, to open them, to edit them, no issues at all. There are some notes titled „Email Gruppe xyz“. (xyz = some more text, different on different notes).

My wife opens the notebook and sees all notes, now tapping on the magnifying glass, limiting search to notebook „Rebecca“ (there is a filter automatically shown for current notebook) and start typing „Gruppe“ -> search suggests already a few notes matching, very nice, but not all of them, After „Gruppe“ just hit enter -> no results found.

• Level 5

Proudly searched and found in EN VER. 10.0.1 on my iPhone 11 Pro Max.

The Notebook is shared to me from my wife. I did as described: Select the notebook in the notebook list, and when the content was on the screen, I hit the search function bottom right, and typed in „Mokka“. 1 hit, searched only in that notebook:   EDIT: Does not work - see below !

313A193D-B7B6-49BA-B96D-52A7E89F7363.jpeg.d0249bd0dee40a3e9eafc27a34437657.jpeg

If I now go to the „All notes“ View, and Search again, there Are 3 hits for „Mokka“, but none of them is inside of the notebook that was shared to me. The double item is one we had saved independently, my wife in her notebook and I in my recipes notebook (which is shared to my wife ...).

A0C444DB-4D63-45D4-8077-6C0898919DF9.thumb.png.9c6a585373c533822b0f4729bc6ead89.png

Edited by PinkElephant
Correction of search result
14 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Proudly searched and found in EN VER. 10.0.1 on my iPhone 11 Pro Max.

The Notebook is shared to me from my wife. I did as described: Select the notebook in the notebook list, and when the content was on the screen, I hit the search function bottom right, and typed in „Mokka“. 1 hit, searched only in that notebook:

313A193D-B7B6-49BA-B96D-52A7E89F7363.jpeg.d0249bd0dee40a3e9eafc27a34437657.jpeg

If I now go to the „All notes“ View, and Search again, there Are 3 hits for „Mokka“, but none of them is inside of the notebook that was shared to me. The double item is one we had saved independently, my wife in her notebook and I in my recipes notebook (which is shared to my wife ...).

A0C444DB-4D63-45D4-8077-6C0898919DF9.thumb.png.9c6a585373c533822b0f4729bc6ead89.png

@PinkElephantthank you - one important question: after typing "mokka" (1st image in your post) did you press the "enter" key? in my case, the note "mokka-knusperle..." would disappear immediately after pressing <enter key>...

BTW: your filter "Backen + Süßes" was NOT activated - you have to tap on it and then you will see a label showing there is a particular notebook selected for the search.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

Have to correct my prior post, after testing on the iPad: Even if it says it is going to search in the notebook shared to me, in fact it is not searching it.

It still searches all notebooks that belong to me (including those I shared with others), but not in those shared with me by others.

Looks like a bug, after all. Thanks for insisting on another test.

• Like 1

@Shane D. please can you take a look into this issue, as well - please - this breaks completely my workflow - it seems search within notebooks shared BY others doesn‘t work, after pressing the <enter> key always a „no results found“ appears - even e.g. if suggested Tags are used for searching

• Like 1
  • Level 5

@Shane D. Hi there, if you read the thread, you will see that Stocky proved me wrong, and he is right: Search does not work on content that others shared to yourself. I can’t search in my wife’s notebook for baking recipes (which may be a blessing for her), but she can’t either search my cooking recipes notebook shared to her (which is a disaster for me).

So you guys better get this fixed before I loose too much weight. Sharing information is very important for many of us - and slim elephants have an evil mood 🙀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Related maybe is the inability to move notes to shared notebooks? When the option is chosen, the shared notebook has a locked symbol and is greyed out. I can’t think what a shared but locked notebook would be for anyway...

• Thanks 1

I have exactly the some problem. Searching for recipes with the ingredient chicken does not give a result. I want a list of recipes to choose from so I can check if I have the other ingredients. This always worked perfect. Until I automatically received an update yesterday on my IOS. IOS version 13.7