Right-Click -> Add Tag

hbflyte

Idea

I found searching this forum very difficult, so if this was suggested before, it was by someone very attractive and kind.

The title kind of says it all. I would like to highlight text in a note, right click, have the option to "Add as tag" and done.

Thank you for your time.

6 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi.  I can see that as an idea,  but if the word is in a note, then that note will be found by a search for just <word>. If you create it as a tag,  your search requires "tag:<word>".  If you're looking for that word to add to other notes to group them together,  it's probably going to be quicker just to type it than find a suitable keyword in a note that contains it and add it to the current note or collection.  Do you have a specific use case when this option could be useful?

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, hbflyte said:

I would like to highlight text in a note, right click, have the option to "Add as tag" and done.

Is this an alternative to copy and pasting; to save the clicks?

To respond to both posts: Yes, it will save clicks :) Love saving clicks.

A lot of what I do is review notes and writing while annotating journal articles, summary, analysis and so forth. As I am compiling notes and reading summaries toward my comprehensive exams, I thought it would be nice to be able to read through my writing and highlight topics, themes, names, etc. that I could see being interconnected with other texts. It's less about searching but connecting.

• Level 5*
17 hours ago, gazumped said:

that note will be found by a search for just <word>

I like this idea of inserting tags into my note contents; instead of only assigning tags at the note level

Two points   

1. We need a master tag list maintained somewhere
  2. There's a problem with search dropping special characters   
    <> [] # can't be used as inline tag identifiers   
    The only valid character is underscore, something like _word
  • Level 5*
38 minutes ago, DTLow said:

There's a problem with search dropping special characters

You're right,  and I wasn't thinking the whole 'just search for the word' thing through very well,  because if you search for common words you will have a LOT of hits for that word,  only some of which may be what you want;  and @DTLow is on point that making the word 'special' by adding unusual characters doesn't necessarily make it findable with those characters.  Actually my 'secret' system is to use an "x" as a prefix - since I don't seem to use many x-words in daily life.  So tagging this paragraph I might add 'xcharacters' at the top - which is easy to copy and paste after hitting the 'x' key, and just as findable as a tag.

I think this is one of those features that I wouldn't mind if it was added,  but I probably wouldn't use it.

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, gazumped said:

Actually my 'secret' system is to use an "x" as a prefix - since I don't seem to use many x-words in daily life.

My secret is the underscore, the searchable special character.  Don't find many words starting with _ and I like the feng shui of it.. 

I use it with _Completed <timestamp> and _Paid <timestamp>.  Use case for both being fairly obvious I hope.  Fortunately Completed gets used more than Paid.  Both phrases get inserted into notes via a PhraseExpress hotkey. 

Not that I have ever thought of in note tags, but If I ever did need a workaround ...

• Like 1