Firefox Web Client

Hi

Can someone please tell me if the Firefox web client is still being maintained / updated. I've spent more than an hour searching but  I cannot find any information on this. The client version on Firefox is 5.29.0. The version on Chrome is 6.6.0. One obvious difference between the two is that in Chrome you see a thumbnail next to a note, but not in Firefox.

Thank you

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

Hi, and welcome to the forums. The Web client is intended to be used in any browser; there aren't separately maintained versions for Firefox, Chrome, etc. I also see v. 5.29.0 on Firefox and on Opera. I don't use Chrome, so I can't check there. Do be aware that these versions are betas, so still under development. They might be testing out features on Chrome before expanding them to a wider clientele; but how they would signal to Chrome to use one version and to Firefox, Opera, and others to stick with another one, I have no idea. I hope someone who knows something about it would jump in and explain.

7 hours ago, W:"lagfKASWRPGHMDSH'BMPSDO said:

Hi

Can someone please tell me if the Firefox web client is still being maintained / updated. I've spent more than an hour searching but  I cannot find any information on this. The client version on Firefox is 5.29.0. The version on Chrome is 6.6.0. One obvious difference between the two is that in Chrome you see a thumbnail next to a note, but not in Firefox.

Thank you

As far as I know, 5.29.0 is the "broadly available" web beta version. The 6.x versions are (currently) more limited tests. Apparently, you've been quietly placed in a v6.6 test, but only for Chrome, not for Firefox. At some point 6.x will become the "broadly available" version. Hopefully soon, because I'm still on 5.29 myself and would like to see some new features.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5
1 hour ago, Paul A. said:

As far as I know, 5.29.0 is the "broadly available" web beta version. The 6.x versions are (currently) more limited tests. Apparently, you've been quietly placed in a v6.6 test, but only for Chrome, not for Firefox. At some point 6.x will become the "broadly available" version. Hopefully soon, because I'm still on 5.29 myself and would like to see some new features.

Thanks, Paul. Do you know where this info is posted (if it is)?`

14 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Thanks, Paul. Do you know where this info is posted (if it is)?`

It's not posted anywhere officially, but I definitely saw it from an official source. Might have been from the CEO's Twitter account. I also saw some people talking on another public forum about being invited to a limited Evernote web beta test and they reported being on a 6.x version. That's definitely not official, but the info triangulates so I'm fairly confident it's accurate (or at least was accurate as of the recent past).

Edit: This also matches up with what Evernote has stated publicly in their videos about having limited tests for more advanced versions, and what some people are posting on these forums, in that most people seem to be on v5.29 but a few people are on v6.5, v6.6, etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, W:"lagfKASWRPGHMDSH'BMPSDO said:

Thanks everyone. Very frustrating as there does not seem to be any info on it anywhere. I looks much better with the thumbnail next to the note but I don't want to switch browsers just for that.

Hopefully we'll all get that version soon. You're actually in an advantageous spot - you can use your favorite browser and use the version that most of us have, or use a non-favorite browser and get the newer version of the web beta. :)

On 3/17/2020 at 2:04 PM, W:"lagfKASWRPGHMDSH'BMPSDO said:

Hi

Thank you

As I see, FF Web client has been just updated to 5.30. So you don't need to worry if is still being maintained 😉

5 hours ago, Kolmir said:

As I see, FF Web client has been just updated to 5.30. So you don't need to worry if is still being maintained 😉

Yep. Same with me on Chrome. Seeing version 5.30.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Well ... I just checked in Opera (after a recent reboot of the machine), and I've got v. 6.7.0! And yes, in the note list I do see thumbnails of graphics and docs next to notes that have them. Also, the button bottom right no longer says Beta, but Feedback. Clicking it you can go back to the Classic version, as before; but they ask politely for feedback if you do.

In Firefox it's still 5.3, but hopefully that will change. Curiously, in FF I don't see any button at bottom right at all--no way to change back to the Classic editor.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
19 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Well ... I just checked in Opera (after a recent reboot of the machine), and I've got v. 6.7.0! And yes, in the note list I do see thumbnails of graphics and docs next to notes that have them. Also, the button bottom right no longer says Beta, but Feedback. Clicking it you can go back to the Classic version, as before; but they ask politely for feedback if you do.

In Firefox it's still 5.3, but hopefully that will change. Curiously, in FF I don't see any button at bottom right at all--no way to change back to the Classic editor.

Yep, I see 6.7.0 in my Chrome too!

Regarding reverting back in FF, see below

image.png.b4cff1a6c63df955dd8387b02546d4ca.png

• Sad 1
  • Level 5

Thanks, @Kolmir. But the "previous version" is the much earlier, pre-"Classic" version. Selecting it pops up a dialog with the message "You are now opted out from the redesigned Evernote website," and asking for feedback. In Opera, if I click the account button at top left with my name, I also get the option to switch to the "previous version." But there's also a black button at bottom right that says, "Feedback" (it used to say, "Beta"). When you click it, you get the popup shown below. Just surprised at the difference between FF and Opera on this point, in the same version of the Web editor.

image.png.f4d05a2e354e69d2817be4f6da07a046.png

• Like 1

I'm still stuck on 5.3 across Chrome, Firefox, and Safari, but I'm happy to see more people getting access to v6.7. Hopefully that bodes well for rolling it out to everyone sooner rather than later.

And on that note, impatiently waiting for the preview apps to get a broader rollout. I'm thinking the apps must have been pretty basic/rough to have not received a wide distribution by now.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Thanks, @Kolmir. But the "previous version" is the much earlier, pre-"Classic" version. Selecting it pops up a dialog with the message "You are now opted out from the redesigned Evernote website," and asking for feedback. In Opera, if I click the account button at top left with my name, I also get the option to switch to the "previous version." But there's also a black button at bottom right that says, "Feedback" (it used to say, "Beta"). When you click it, you get the popup shown below. Just surprised at the difference between FF and Opera on this point, in the same version of the Web editor.

image.png.f4d05a2e354e69d2817be4f6da07a046.png

OK. A bit strange. In my Chrome (EvN 6.7.0) I have similar FEEDBACK button with the same menu as on your picture.

In FF (5.30.0) there is no button in the bottom right corner. Only status bar, which says "All changes saved".

BR, Piotr

• Level 5
1 hour ago, Kolmir said:

OK. A bit strange. In my Chrome 6.7.0 I have similar FEEDBACK button with the same menu as on you picture.

In FF (5.30.0) there is no button in the bottom right corner. Only status bar, which says "All changes saved".

BR, Piotr

So it seems it may be a Firefox deal. My understanding is that FF has gotten really tight about security lately. How to see how this could be a security problem, but they may see security issues where no one else does.

• Like 2

Just a quick update for anyone who is interested in tracking this.

Today I noticed that I'm now receiving v6.7 on Chrome. Firefox and Safari are still seeing v5.3. I actually haven't noticed anything different about v6.7 compared to v5.3. I'm sure there are changes, but I'm not a heavy user of the web version so I haven't noticed any at this point.

• Level 5
3 hours ago, Paul A. said:

I actually haven't noticed anything different about v6.7 compared to v5.3. I'm sure there are changes, but I'm not a heavy user of the web version so I haven't noticed any at this point.

Find and replace (accessed by Ctrl+F) is a particularly useful addition.