Editing the same note in two windows

This is a followup to a number of previous posts:

Post # 1

Post # 2 (see notes starting on October 2, 2018)

Someone in post # 1 suggested that this proble1m has been resolved for Mac. However, it appears that the problem of the window jumping has not been resolved in the Windows edition of Evernote. As of August 2019, the problem remains both on Windows 8 and Windows 10 machines. (I'm currently using ver. 6.19.2 for Windows.)

Just to briefly repeat the description of the problem:

When a long note (that requires window scrolling) is open in two windows in Evernote (one within the body of the program's main window, and another -- in a popup window), any editing in either of the windows causes the other window to jump to the top of the content after the results of the editing are saved. So if the viiewport of the second window was initially placed anywhere other than the top of the body of the note (say at the bottom or middle of the note) before the editing session in the other window has began, after the results of the editing are autosaved, that viewport in the other window is lost after the window auto-refreshes itself and moves its viewport to the top of the note. Extreeeeeeeeeemly annoying! The viewport MUST remain fixed, displaying the original section of the note's body where the user opened it before initiating the editing session in either of the two windows.

Are there any plans to fix this bug?

Cheers!

• Level 5*
On 8/15/2019 at 12:36 AM, woodrow101 said:

Are there any plans to fix this bug?

As noted in this thread - 

It wasn't an issue in Mac and I tried to replicate the issue on my Windows laptop without success;  so no - AFAIK no-one is currently trying to 'fix' this. 

You could try raising the issue with Support on Twitter to see if they can help...

• Level 5
On 8/14/2019 at 7:36 PM, woodrow101 said:

When a note is open in two windows in Evernote (one within the body of the program's main window, and another -- in a popup window), any editing in either of the windows causes the other window to jump to the top of the content after the results of the editing are saved. So if the viiewport of the second window was initially placed anywhere other than the top of the body of the note (say at the bottom or middle of the note) before the editing session in the other window has began, after the results of the editing are autosaved, that viewport in the other window is lost after the window auto-refreshes itself and moves its viewport to the top of the note.

I've highlighted the key point here. Autosave timing can be adjusted in Tools > Options > Note > Automatically save edited note every N seconds But of course if you've added or changed a lot of material and want to be very sure it isn't lost, e.g., by a computer crash or power outage, then you're going to want to save it, and you're going to lose the viewing position in the other window. I agree that it is annoying. Similar phenomena were under discussion last year in this thread:

• 3 months later...
On 8/22/2019 at 10:35 AM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

...Autosave timing can be adjusted in Tools > Options > Note > Automatically save edited note every N seconds...

On 8/22/2019 at 10:35 AM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Dave, adjusting autosave interval won't solve the problem of the viewpoint jumping as the jumping will happen anyway when the autosave delay period is up. So that would be a "poor man's" solution so to speak.

I'm surprised no one else is bothered by this irritating bug, and gazumped couldn't even recreate it on his computer. I use Evernote on two different Windows machines (ver 8.1 and 10), and both of them display the same problem.

• Level 5

It may be possible to turn autosave off altogether by setting that interval to 0. Of course, as I pointed out back in August, eventually one will want to do a manual save, which will have the same effect. As I also mentioned then, I do find it annoying; and as you yourself mentioned when starting this thread back then, there are at least two other threads discussing it. So in fact you're not the only one who's bothered by it. Evidently returning to the top of a note after saving it seemed like a good idea to a programmer at some point, and doing something less intrusive hasn't become a high priority since then. My own notes on the subject suggest that this was introduced sometime between v. 6.5 and v. 6.15, and that it is related to the phenomenon in which, whenever I switch away from a note I'm editing to a different note and then switch back (with Alt + Left Arrow), the display jumps to the top of the note.