With Evernote for Windows, I find it slow to load... from click of the icon to opening the app, takes about 45 seconds... at about 30 seconds it says Opening Databases.  

I use tags on my all my notes, and once Evernote for Windows is open, it is fast... search is fast, create a Note or Notebook is fast, etc.

I am running the latest Windows 10 on a Dell laptop with an i5 Intel processor and 6 gigs of RAM. 

Anyone else seeing this same problem or is my laptop under-powered?   

Thanks in advance for any help and/or feedback.

Regards,

John

• Level 5*

I tend not to notice how long Evernote takes to load - it's part of my normal startup (which takes a while on my i7 8GB Dell) and stays on all the time.  TBH your minute or so doesn't seem significant enough to warrant messing with something that otherwise seems to be working fine...

• Level 5

Whether your laptop is underpowered depends on what you want to do on it.

If it is office-type stuff, you should be fine. But I would think twice before starting video rendering or heavy code compilation, especially because often the i5es installed on laptops are of the special energy saving mobile type.

From my observation, startup time of EN depends on how much syncing is going on when starting. When I have not used my PC for some days (because being on Mac and iOS meanwhile), and have added some content to my account, EN will feel slow because it first tries to get everything updated. If it is connected via (slow) WiFi type n or b , it will feel slower again.

The real startup time should be negligible if you run app and data from an SSD.

35 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Whether your laptop is underpowered depends on what you want to do on it.

If it is office-type stuff, you should be fine. But I would think twice before starting video rendering or heavy code compilation, especially because often the i5es installed on laptops are of the special energy saving mobile type.

From my observation, startup time of EN depends on how much syncing is going on when starting. When I have not used my PC for some days (because being on Mac and iOS meanwhile), and have added some content to my account, EN will feel slow because it first tries to get everything updated. If it is connected via (slow) WiFi type n or b , it will feel slower again.

The real startup time should be negligible if you run app and data from an SSD.

Hi, thanks for your response... I primarily use my computer for photo editing work, and although it is not blazing fast, I can edit in Lightroom with little lag.  With that said, Evernote takes longer to load that Lightroom, which is notoriously resource hungry.  The internet where I live is not super fast like you might see in the States or Europe, but it should be fast enough to support the data update process of EN without a problem. 

I do not load Evernote on my PC everyday, so I'm sure there are some files that need to be sync'd but again, it's usually minimal at best... I don't use EN as others might... for me EN is more of a filing cabinet for my life, a few web clips, and not much more than that.

Regards,

John

• Level 5

Depends on the size of your EN database, and how much you add.

If you hold the alt-Key before clicking on the help menu in the EN app, there will be more options added to the help menu, below the usual menu items. Among them are tools to reorganize the EN search index and database. Maybe try some those to trim the data structure.

Before starting this, make sure you have a copy of the EN data base, just in case ... you can anyhow rebuild from the EN server, but it will take longer.