Auto notes from Google Drive

Is there a way to automatically create a note in EN when new files are saved in a Google Drive folder? I have set up my genealogy program (Brothers Keeper) to store all of documents on Google Drive (this way I can share the data with my desktop and laptop). Most of the files are JPGs, pdf and text so by creating a note for these documents they would become searchable. I was thinking of something like IFTTT but have zero experience of this or similar product. Any suggestions please.

Thanks

Doc

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, doctorkeo said:

Is there a way to automatically create a note in EN when new files are saved in a Google Drive folder?

Which device/platform are you using?

On my Mac, I can set up a Google Drive folder as an Evernote Import folder using Folder Actions

Its also a feature supported by third party Zapier

• Level 5*

Beware that if you set up an Import Folder in Windows it's possible to have the original file deleted once it has been synced with the Evernote account.  Also changes to the Google Drive version of the file are not updated to Evernote.  The two separate versions of the file are exactly that - either one can be edited without affecting the other.  File A forinstance will be saved to Evernote,  but if you then make changes in Google Drive,  File A will still be saved online,  but file A.1 will be unique and in Google Drive only.

It would actually be better to save the files directly into Evernote - the note attachments will still be editable on any device where you have access to the note via an installed app,  or the web version.

On 6/20/2019 at 3:34 PM, DTLow said:

Which device/platform are you using?

On my Mac, I can set up a Google Drive folder as an Evernote Import folder using Folder Actions

Its also a feature supported by third party Zapier

I'm using Windows  - Zapier sounds just what I'm looking for - Thanks

On 6/20/2019 at 4:50 PM, gazumped said:

Beware that if you set up an Import Folder in Windows it's possible to have the original file deleted once it has been synced with the Evernote account.  Also changes to the Google Drive version of the file are not updated to Evernote.  The two separate versions of the file are exactly that - either one can be edited without affecting the other.  File A forinstance will be saved to Evernote,  but if you then make changes in Google Drive,  File A will still be saved online,  but file A.1 will be unique and in Google Drive only.

It would actually be better to save the files directly into Evernote - the note attachments will still be editable on any device where you have access to the note via an installed app,  or the web version.

I'll watch out for file deletion - I'll make a couple of backups before I try anything. The data files rarely change - although only this week I did change one - FindMyPast had released a new version of the 1939 census page - which does happen as people "fall off the perch" and they are allowed to release the data under Data Protection.

The option to save the files directly from Brothers Keeper isn't available - I could at the end of session drag the files to Evernote - which could be a safer option.

Thanks

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 6/20/2019 at 4:27 AM, doctorkeo said:

I have set up my genealogy program (Brothers Keeper) to store all of documents on Google Drive (this way I can share the data with my desktop and laptop).

Are the documents in a useable form?  

I use FamilyTreeMaker; the export function gives me a Gedcom file and the media
- however the media has system generated names1214764172_ScreenShot2019-06-21at12_40_16.png.c96f7006e0c0ad8aa47c451c8cba6bf0.png

16 hours ago, DTLow said:

Are the documents in a useable form?  

I use FamilyTreeMaker; the export function gives me a Gedcom file and the media - however the media has system generated names1214764172_ScreenShot2019-06-21at12_40_16.png.c96f7006e0c0ad8aa47c451c8cba6bf0.png

Brothers Keeper doesn't change the file format. When I export my data up to something like Ancestry or FMP, I don't include photos or documents. I tried FamilyTreeMaker many years ago, and decided to stay with BK. 

Doc