BUG: web version - Touch event in edit area disables edit mode

Hi there,

There is a bug in the web version of Evernote.

When editing a note (so that the formatting bar is visible) if I have a touch screen (e.g. Chromebook laptop) and use the screen to scroll in the note or to relocate the cursor, the edit mode is sort of disabled and it forces the cursor to go back to the first character of the document. The formatting bar also disappears. The only way to get out of that is to force the page to reload with CTRL+R.

I constantly have to remember to never touch the screen and scroll with the arrow keys instead, which is annoying because of course I forget all the time.

As a developer, my guess is that something in the touchstart event in Javascript disables the edit mode for whatever reason.

Thanks.

PS: you can move that to Web Client section, I didn't realize there was one.

On 5/15/2019 at 8:15 PM, FloLA said:

Hi there,

There is a bug in the web version of Evernote.

When editing a note (so that the formatting bar is visible) if I have a touch screen (e.g. Chromebook laptop) and use the screen to scroll in the note or to relocate the cursor, the edit mode is sort of disabled and it forces the cursor to go back to the first character of the document. The formatting bar also disappears. The only way to get out of that is to force the page to reload with CTRL+R.

I constantly have to remember to never touch the screen and scroll with the arrow keys instead, which is annoying because of course I forget all the time.

As a developer, my guess is that something in the touchstart event in Javascript disables the edit mode for whatever reason.

Thanks.

PS: you can move that to Web Client section, I didn't realize there was one.

Thanks so much for reporting this. I have filed a bug with engineering so they can investigate and fix. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi!
Any update on this? This bug is still there, it makes the service nearly unusable on any TouchScreen laptop because there is no scrolling pad on such devices since people scroll with the screen.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2019 at 8:44 AM, PinkElephant said:

Have you tried to downgrade again to the regular version ?

PinkElephant, thanks but I would not use Evernote with the regular version, I would probably use another tool. The new version is what makes it better ;)
It should be a very easy fix really, we're just talking about a javascript touchstart even or something like that.

Just curious, how many cumulative hours are spent per week fixing bugs at Evernote?

• Level 5

Betas are for sure nice, because they already have what the official release lacks. So far, so nice.

But betas as well have per definition an enhanced risk of being bug infeasted.

So everybody can balance these two aspects for himself. By general agreement, you can REPORT bugs on a beta, but you can not CLAIM for their removal. Taking the beta means living with the bugs.

Because EN does for sure comprise many lines of code, there will be many hours spend on debugging. My last estimate from industry sources is that you will on average have one bug per 100 lines of code ...

On 6/18/2019 at 8:44 AM, PinkElephant said:

Have you tried to downgrade again to the regular version ?

Thanks PinkElephant.
How many do you fix per day on average?