Option to Find all References to Internal Link of the note

chandubhai

Idea

Hi  Community,

Feature Request Description in Detail :

We have a feature in evernote called as Copy Internal note link, through which we can generate table of contents, link related notes together etc.
To take this feature to the next level and improve the note organisation capabilities, i propose this feature addition.

That is :

Select a note and then determine whether the internal link of this note has been used anywhere , if so retrieve all such references.

Utility :

Let me explain with an example :

I have an evernote created long back want to use the merge function to merge it with the latest updated note.

Now I want to check whether the internal link to this old note has been used in any of my notes/notebooks in the past, so that i would either refrain or update all such notes with the link of the new merged note,

Without the knowledge of this , I am restrained to ever touch a note and use the merge function, fearing that all the references to this note(via internal link) will become invalidated.

Eventually this hampers my ability to organize notes effectively, as i am forced to leave old notes as it is and not merge two related notes.

So I propose to give us a feature to check whether reference to an internal link of the note that is going to be merged has been used anywhere else before we decide and go ahead with the  merger.

Thanks

• Like 3

9 replies to this idea

On 2/8/2019 at 2:23 AM, chandubhai said:

Select a note and then determine whether the internal link of this note has been used anywhere , if so retrieve all such references.

Having an easy way to see and access all the notes linking to a specific note when this note is selected would be very important also for me, saving a lot of time, and avoiding losing information by a better interconnection between the notes.

I don't want to have to search manually to show all the links. The up links should be immediately visible when opening the note, either in a side panel, or at the top of the note.

I have detailed why I need this feature also in a related comment:

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, chandubhai said:

A search function would be useful.  I added my vote.

Manually; this requires searching the note contents, however the url is embeded in the underlying html code. 
I have to search my external backups.  This is also available using Spotlight (Mac). 

9 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Manually; this requires searching the note contents, however the url is embeded in the html code,  I have to search my external backups.  This is available using Spotlight (Mac). 

Copying the internal link and using the Global search of Evernote account , does not return any result.
it simply says no notes found

image.png.112206fa50aeed92611147c9f343583a.png

Pasted such copied internal link in the global search.Returned nothing :

image.png.ad467c95cd519422202163ca27f27161.png

• Level 5*
19 minutes ago, chandubhai said:

Copying the internal link and using the Global search of Evernote account , does not return any result.
it simply says no notes found

As I said, I am searching my external backups.1844933269_ScreenShot2019-02-07at11_04_33.thumb.png.9a22f4d3e05df817c4601c1a8f627f33.png

9 minutes ago, DTLow said:

As I said, I am searching my external backups.1844933269_ScreenShot2019-02-07at11_04_33.thumb.png.9a22f4d3e05df817c4601c1a8f627f33.png

I am sorry to say, but in Wondows 10 the format of the internal link is similar to http link.

This is original clipboard content after copying the internal link.

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s295/nl/39835337/92433ae9-4675-b29f-a808fcb5aaef

So technically searching a hyperlink in window10 returns nothing.And i have done that too practically to be sure. It returned nothing

• Level 5*
15 minutes ago, chandubhai said:

This is original clipboard content after copying the internal link.
https://www.evernote.com/shard/s295/nl/39835337/92433ae9-4675-b29f-a808fcb5aaef

This is the private browser link (https://www.evernote.com/shard/s2...)
If you paste within Evernote, it converts to the classic/in-app link (evernote:///view/1156250/s10/9eda3a...)
On Macs, we can use the option key to force the classic/in-app link copied to the clipboard

On 2/8/2019 at 12:57 AM, DTLow said:

This is the private browser link (https://www.evernote.com/shard/s2...)
If you paste within Evernote, it converts to the classic/in-app link (evernote:///view/1156250/s10/9eda3a...)
On Macs, we can use the option key to force the classic/in-app link copied to the clipboard

I didnt understand, what you are saying. Are you  sure we dont need this feature , and can achieve this requirement with a work around. If so pls help me in the desktop version. I am asking for Windows and not familiar with Mac. Pls excuse me for that.

• Level 5*
On 2/7/2019 at 1:23 PM, chandubhai said:

Now I want to check whether the internal link to this old note has been used in any of my notes/notebooks in the past,

Would just searching for the title of this old note provide you what you are looking for?

Sometimes, for reasons that I have yet to figure out, I will find a broken link in an old note.  I will just search for the title of that old note, find it and then just recreate the link.  It is a small pita but fortunately doesn't happen that often to me.

On 2/9/2019 at 10:41 AM, s2sailor said:

Would just searching for the title of this old note provide you what you are looking for?

Sometimes, for reasons that I have yet to figure out, I will find a broken link in an old note.  I will just search for the title of that old note, find it and then just recreate the link.  It is a small pita but fortunately doesn't happen that often to me.

This method works for me.  Mac Desktop OS 10.16.6.  Just make sure to enclose the page title in quotes for an exact match in Search.  Since the Hyperlink text is the page title by default, I get a return of all pages that have the page title included in them.