Using Things 3 URL link to note in Evernote- not working

I know how to use INTERNAL links in EN to link to other notes. But many apps allow using links to link back to a specific place in their app. Of course, EN itself allows this by pasting that EN link into a calendar app, and then that allows a link back to EN from that app.

I would like to be able to link FROM Evernote TO Things app. Things DOES allow this, and it works great in many other apps (eg, Mail, Agenda, etc). But it does NOT work in EN. If I type a Things link (eg: things:///show?id=246D6A7C-CE62-4E4C-9B2F-D1486BD5E732) the link does not become active; it is just text. Is there a way to fix this, or a workaround if not?

• Level 5*
22 hours ago, pdadoc2 said:

I know how to use INTERNAL links in EN to link to other notes. But many apps allow using links to link back to a specific place in their app. Of course, EN itself allows this by pasting that EN link into a calendar app, and then that allows a link back to EN from that app.

I would like to be able to link FROM Evernote TO Things app. Things DOES allow this, and it works great in many other apps (eg, Mail, Agenda, etc). But it does NOT work in EN. If I type a Things link (eg: things:///show?id=246D6A7C-CE62-4E4C-9B2F-D1486BD5E732) the link does not become active; it is just text. Is there a way to fix this, or a workaround if not?

Have you tried copying the text, then highlighting the text, then right click - Hyperlink - Add, and then paste the text?  You can clean up the text in the note later if need be.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, pdadoc2 said:

Yes- Unfortunately, the "ok" remains greyed out once the link is pasted in, so unable to accept it.... EN just seems to not recognize that it is a link...(see screenshot) 

If it is a local file make sure you have file:/// on the front of the URL, Windows anyway.  If it as internal things link, not sure.

ScreenClip.png.311d5b6cb4880c31358da026eddf6b9e.png

• Like 1

Thanks- using mac.... but if I change that initial "Things" to "file" at start of URL, it does enable it to be saved as a link.... Unfortunately, it is not an actual link to anything after removing "Things" at the start....I suspect this is just a limitation of EN and Things..... Interestingly, using the Agenda app on mac, I can simply the "Agenda URL" link of a note, and when I paste THAT into EN, it eloquently pastes the TITLE of the Agenda note as an active link. Clicking on that in EN takes me right to that Agenda note....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
26 minutes ago, pdadoc2 said:

Thanks- using mac.... but if I change that initial "Things" to "file" at start of URL, it does enable it to be saved as a link.... Unfortunately, it is not an actual link to anything after removing "Things" at the start....I suspect this is just a limitation of EN and Things..... Interestingly, using the Agenda app on mac, I can simply the "Agenda URL" link of a note, and when I paste THAT into EN, it eloquently pastes the TITLE of the Agenda note as an active link. Clicking on that in EN takes me right to that Agenda note....

Sweet mysteries of life....  🤷‍♂️

• 4 weeks later...

To me this looks like a bug in Evernote (for Mac), rather than a mystery.

I am having the exactly the same problem. And it's not only with Things (url: things:///...), but also for example with EagleFiler (x-eaglefiler://...) and other apps, which use this kind of URL schemes (not all of them though - bear://... links are pasted correctly).

If I try to make this a link in Evernote, I also get the OK button greyed out, like the OP.

If I just paste it into an Evernote note, it is not formatted as a link, thus cannot be clicked. Also exactly like the OP reports it.

In all other apps I use this works perfectly fine though (Bear, Things, Apple Notes). Is there a way to officially report Evernote bugs? For me that is a serious constraint in using Evernote as my central knowledge and work organizing tool, because this involves linking to tasks and other apps.

• 10 months later...

Did you ever figure out a solution to this? I'm having the same exact problem and linking to Things is critical to my workflow. I manage all my tasks in Things and (I'm trying) to keep all my notes in Evernote. The Things links work in both Agenda and Bear, and while I love both of those apps, my job requires me to collaborate now so I'm stuck using Evernote. 😞

Me neither, if you don't count copy pasting the URL to a browser, which will open Things just fine, just like practically any other application on a Mac does, besides Evernote. 

I left Evernote for Bear just recently, because of this and a lot of other bugs / annoyances. Bear does great, but obviously not an option for you because of collaboration. Maybe notion.so is worth a look though.