Auto Rolodex feature

AndyMac90

Idea

Hi,

I've used Evernote for a number of years, and it's collected a huge amount of emails. It would be ideal to have a feature "contacts" that automatically creates and adds to a list or similar any new emails it finds in your notes. Basically an automatic Rolodex, so no matter your job change or computer crash, you can easily export it back out to your outlook, or bring it up when you can't remember spelling etc.

4 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

I understand the "collected a huge amount of emails".  I'm doing the same; using Evernote for storage.

>>Basically an automatic Rolodex

I'm not clear on the Rolodex feature.  The notes are tagged by sender and other categories.  What else is required?

I have implemented some automation with scripting (Mac).
Sender is the easiest to capture, since it's specified directly on the email

>>you can easily export it back out to your outlook

I store a copy in .eml format so it can be easily opened in my email program.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, AndyMac90 said:

Hi,

I've used Evernote for a number of years, and it's collected a huge amount of emails. It would be ideal to have a feature "contacts" that automatically creates and adds to a list or similar any new emails it finds in your notes. Basically an automatic Rolodex, so no matter your job change or computer crash, you can easily export it back out to your outlook, or bring it up when you can't remember spelling etc.

Going forward, some email apps harvest any unknown email addresses to an incremental address book.  So forwarding to EN will capture them.  You can periodically export your address books and save the result in EN if you like.

18 hours ago, CalS said:

Going forward, some email apps harvest any unknown email addresses to an incremental address book.  So forwarding to EN will capture them.  You can periodically export your address books and save the result in EN if you like.

That's exactly what I'm after. I do tag the key people but some emails have heaps of people that are just only captured in the note itself. I'll look into trying that out, hopefully outlook supports it.

• Level 5*
23 hours ago, CalS said:

You can periodically export your address books and save the result in EN if you like.

I'm guessing the interface is vCard format.  
Does anyone have an import/export utility for this?
An alternative  is to store the .vcf file as an attachment in an  Evernote note.

Archived