Automated tagging for uploaded notes?

go4java

Hi, I've been sending a complete email to my personal Evernote "upload email account". That worked very well and the email is been shown with all its components (text, pictures, links etc.).

I'm wondering if the new note could be auto-tagged with common tags such as "energy", "mobility", "email", "event" etc. I know, one can explicitely set 1-n tags to each note, but this automatism could be very helpful and productive.

• Level 5*

You can specify tags on the email subject line - documentation at https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005347-How-to-save-email-into-Evernote

You can also enable auto filing

By default, emails sent into Evernote go into your default notebook. If you frequently save emails into Evernote and organize them with similar notebooks and tags, you can enable auto-filing. When you forward an email into Evernote, auto-filing will look for similar notes inside your account and apply the same notebook and tags.

@go4java - Suppose there was an automated procedure. How would it know what Tags to assign to the email? And then the next email? And the one after that?

If it is always the same set of Tags, then type them in somewhere where you can find them fast and paste them into the Subject line of the email as you save it to Evernote, as DTLow indicated above.

But, if each email gets the same set of Tags, then why not concatenate them into 1 Tag and manually add it after the email is in Evernote? (rhetorical)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5

Who wants to give auto filing a try can enable it on the web clipper.

There the result can be viewed in the clipper window before sending the clip to EN.

From my experience it works fairly well if i repetitively clip pages with similar content. If I start clipping something here, something there without a „red line“ the auto filing result will be quite off.

E-Mails on auto filing can not be corrected in advance. If send without correction to EN, the effort to find and correct these entries is bigger than sending it to the inbox and doing the sorting and tagging in EN. I mostly use the windows client for its functionality (would prefer the iPad client, however).

Who is following the GTD-trail will reserve time to do this daily or if volume and workflow allows weekly.

• Level 5*
On 10/29/2018 at 3:18 AM, go4java said:

I'm wondering if the new note could be auto-tagged with common tags such as "energy", "mobility", "email", "event" etc. I know, one can explicitely set 1-n tags to each note, but this automatism could be very helpful and productive.

Further to the OP's request, third party Filterize allows specific rules for auto-tagging notes.  I also implemented auto-tagging rules using scripting (Mac)

Archived