Desperately Needed Editor Experience Improvements

dgris

Idea

Hi Evernote! 

Over the last few years, I have been in love with Evernote. So much in love that I pay for it. I used it for absolutely everything. Class notes, personal notes, goal setting. My whole life is in Evernote. However, I recently tried Bear, and it showed me how far Evernote has fallen behind in terms of user experience. 

to write, establish hierarchy, and then review. Bear, by leveraging markdown syntax, makes this so easy to do. However, in Evernote, I feel like I'm stuck in a beta version of Word. No standardized headers, no format painter, and default paragraph style with little spacing. Most of all, no Markdown. At the end of the day, it's actually kind of hard to take notes in Evernote. Lot's of clicks and hard to standardize formatting. 

Don't get me wrong. I love the PDF tool. I love the table improvements. I love the ability to insert audio. All of these features are great, but personally, and I believe that your user data would support this being the case for many people, a huge majority of my information flow is in written notes. A note-taking app should be very good at taking notes. I feel that the focus has been on creating this information system at the detriment of core functionality. Personally, if I leave, it's going to be because this problem doesn't get solved. Given all the changes and lack of focus on this issue, it's starting to seems clear to me that I'm not (people with my use case) who Evernote is for. 

Please let me know if this is a priority for Evernote. If I'm not your target user, I get it, just let me know so I can start figuring out how to find another solution. 

3 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, dgris said:

Hi Evernote! 

Over the last few years, I have been in love with Evernote. So much in love that I pay for it. I used it for absolutely everything. Class notes, personal notes, goal setting. My whole life is in Evernote. However, I recently tried Bear, and it showed me how far Evernote has fallen behind in terms of user experience. 

to write, establish hierarchy, and then review. Bear, by leveraging markdown syntax, makes this so easy to do. However, in Evernote, I feel like I'm stuck in a beta version of Word. No standardized headers, no format painter, and default paragraph style with little spacing. Most of all, no Markdown. At the end of the day, it's actually kind of hard to take notes in Evernote. Lot's of clicks and hard to standardize formatting. 

Don't get me wrong. I love the PDF tool. I love the table improvements. I love the ability to insert audio. All of these features are great, but personally, and I believe that your user data would support this being the case for many people, a huge majority of my information flow is in written notes. A note-taking app should be very good at taking notes. I feel that the focus has been on creating this information system at the detriment of core functionality. Personally, if I leave, it's going to be because this problem doesn't get solved. Given all the changes and lack of focus on this issue, it's starting to seems clear to me that I'm not (people with my use case) who Evernote is for. 

Please let me know if this is a priority for Evernote. If I'm not your target user, I get it, just let me know so I can start figuring out how to find another solution. 

This is a user discussion forum; Evernote generally doesn't indicate feature priorities in any detail here. Note that all of the features you've mentioned have already been requested; You should find those previous requests, and add your vote to them.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, dgris said:

A note-taking app should be very good at taking notes.  ... core functionality ...

My view of Evernote is as a data filing service; Remember Everything...Get Organized

It does include an editor app, which I use for basic notes.
For serious work, I use dedicated apps; Word/Pages for word processing, Excel/Numbers for spreadsheets, ...  I have no "desperately needed improvements"
A note can contain files of any format.   Evernote works well with PDFs, Images, and Office/iWork documents.

My favourite note taking app is Notability on my iPad.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, DTLow said:

My view of Evernote is as a data filing service; Remember Evertything

It does include an editor app, which I use for basic notes.
For serious work, I use dedicated apps; Word/Pages for word processing, Excel/Numbers for spreadsheets, ...  I have no "desperately needed improvements"
A note can contain files of any format.   Evernote works well with PDFs, Images, and Office/iWork documents.

My favourite note taking app is Notability on my iPad.

You have an apple script for this comment, or a hot key?  ;)

Archived