How to change default font in web clipper

Ok, this is driving me bonkers. I've got the default font in my desktop client set to sans-serif fonts, and yet whenever I clip an article using my Evernote clipper (for Chrome Version 69.0.3497.100), it renders as a serif font in the desktop program. I can change that manually within the desktop program, but it's time consuming and it should not be so onerous.

How can one change the default font for the clipper? This has been going on for six months, and it's really annoying me.

Thanks.

• Like 1

So, at least in my experience, the web clipper ignores the font selection in Evernote itself. The font choices in the application only affect what you type yourself.

If you clip a page as "Article" it uses the fonts from the web page. If I clip an article from CNN, the fonts are a sans-serif, 18pt font that Evernote calls "CNN".

But if you clip in "Simplified Article" mode, it uses a reader view, where the font changes to a Serif font, presumably because it was decided that was an easier font to read.

As far as I know, this behavior is hard-coded and cannot be set by preference.

Thank you, Stephen. That would definitely explain the issue I'm experiencing. I usually use "Simplified Article", which indeed renders as a serif font. I happen to HATE serif fonts, so mark me down as someone who does not find that easier to read. 

I'm not a fan of serif fonts either. I've got literally everything that can be set, set to sans-serif fonts (IBM Plex Sans is my current favorite for general-purpose screen usage).

I'm probably wrong, but I think it's been largely shown that serif fonts are easier to read (at least, in printed form) because the shapes are more distinct, and that's probably why it is the default for the "reader"-type view. But I'd be much happier being able to choose my own. I guess I'll submit that as a feature request. There really isn't a need for it to be hard-coded, the clipper should be able to access the application preferences and use the fonts we've chosen.

• Like 1

Thanks. FWIW, this default setting (assuming that's what it is) wasn't always so. It seems to have changed about 9 or 12 months ago (can't remember), because prior to that using web clipper for "simplified article" saved them as sans-serif. 

I'll also send this (our) suggestion as a feature request. It's a sophisticated enough piece of software that customizing such a setting is a pretty reasonable thing to request. 

• Like 1
  • 3 years later...
On 10/21/2018 at 1:48 PM, mode1 said:

Thank you, Stephen. That would definitely explain the issue I'm experiencing. I usually use "Simplified Article", which indeed renders as a serif font. I happen to HATE serif fonts, so mark me down as someone who does not find that easier to read. 

Here in 2022, hating the problem sufficiently to try to look it up.

• When clipping with the web clipper as "Simplified Article", I still have to simplify further in the desktop program. Although the article visually shows as "Sans Serif", in the "edit" bar the case it still says "Mixed" and selecting the entire article and "Simplify Format"-ing visibly changes font sizes and the like.
  • When clipping with "feedly" web integration as "clip to Evernote", I seem to get the same; still have to "simplify" it further.

In both cases, it seems as if the "default font" is roughly right as "Sans Serif", but the sizes and stylings of the different paragraph types (Heading 1, Heading 2, ... , Normal) are wrong and do appear to override the "default". 

I am not going to play around with different "serif" settings and the like, but it seems as the clippers and integrations somehow override the "default" formatting, which they should not do.

• Level 5

Looking at what happens, all that font and format stuff happens before the clip is send into EN. WebClipper uses the API, not the local client to import.

So I think it uses what the web site shows in reader mode. And this will of course not be 1:1 to a note created inside of EN. The clipped content will come along with some HTML formatting. This will reflect in the web clip that gets created inside of the note with the clipped content.

I think an additional step to "clean" what was clipped is necessary.

I have to say that I love simplified article and it's ability to get rid of lots of adverts etc. I do object though to the fact that the preview looks nothing like what I actually get. Here's a random article from the local newspaper- EN does a fantastic job of simplifying it and the preview is:

image.png.8f9ce8fdc11ad8657f66762c31a00cc0.png

What is actually get is:

image.png.14e452e384559aa8c278b2b307ce9512.png

Why two titles and why the change in formating?