Blank lines being removed?

ryn

Idea

Hi all! Not sure if this is a bug or a setting that can be changed somewhere, but whenever my Evernote syncs it is removing any blank lines, so that the paragraphs are all 'touching' one another

I don't *think* it was doing that before but I'm not sure - any idea on how to change that?

Thanks for any advice

8 replies to this idea

On 9/26/2018 at 1:06 PM, ryn said:

Hi all! Not sure if this is a bug or a setting that can be changed somewhere, but whenever my Evernote syncs it is removing any blank lines, so that the paragraphs are all 'touching' one another

I don't *think* it was doing that before but I'm not sure - any idea on how to change that?

Thanks for any advice

one workaround, I have found: is when you create a blank line, hit your spacebar, before going to the next line.

@ryn is correct. This is a new problem. It only began showing up Tuesday a week ago. I'm on Windoz 10. I think there was a new update about that time. Whatever, it's annoying. In 10 years of using Evernote, I've never had this problem before. I installed 6.15.4.7934 yesterday, and the bug was still there. I'm pretty sure it showed up with the previous update that came out on or around 25 Sept. 

@JodyHeath.Com is correct. One can "fix" the problem by entering a blank space or two on the "blank" lines between paragraphs. I find this annoying, it disturbs the flow of my typing, and it shouldn't be necessary. 

Dear EverNote, please fix this bug. 

It's been a month now, and no one from EN seems interested in commenting or fixing this bug. Why is that? Way more important than templates at the moment. Wasting endless hours reformatting all my notes with an extra space added to each blank line so that paragraphing shows up properly is not a useful way to promote productivity. Interestingly, I'm not sure this bug is common to _all_ notes. It seems that I can type into some notes and add proper paragraphing without having to go back to add blank spaces. I'm not sure, but it might be related to the age of the note. That is, ones with older creation dates seem to do proper paragraphing. 

Anyway, please come up with a fix.  

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, lgpiper said:

It's been a month now, and no one from EN seems interested in commenting or fixing this bug. Why is that?

This is primarily a user forum; Evernote employees do visit and read everything, so far as I can tell and comment on some posts, though not all (there are a lot of posts here, every day). It's probable that it's already in their bug database; again, they' can be opaque about that.  It may not help that the original poster was unclear about which Evernote client they were using. Not sure whether this is fixed or not -- I am on the beta track, and have never seen this, so it's hard for me to tell.

Anyways, I think that the following is still relevant:

Thanks, @jefito, for the heads up. I'm used to forums where the support people lurk and put in a 2¢ when it makes sense. It seems to me that this is a large enough bug that someone would have noticed. Perhaps not, and so, I did, finally, find time to document the problem and submit a ticket. 

The blank line problem persists, and has now reared its ugly head in another venue, that of the web clipper (with Chrome at least). If you clip with "simplified formatting", you get a text field with a fixed width. In my case, the fixed width is greater than the width of my view port. So, I apply "simply formatting", and get a fluid text field, but all the paragraph breaks are removed. So I have to waste oodles of time re-inserting line breaks and making sure there's a blank space on each blank line. Not a recipe for productivity. 

Since the dark mode update for MacOs, I have a similar bug where the highlighting formatting does not stop as initially formatted after closing and reopening a note. It's pretty similar to the line break bug (that I also experience). For me these things by the way only occure in notes with a code block (as I use them as Headings this is practically in all of my notes). 

For what it's worth, the EN folks seem to have fixed the problem for the desk-top client in Windoz. I had quite a fun go-around with them a month or so back. They could reproduce the bugs I reported, and fixed the one in the Windoz desk-top client. 

But, the webclipper bug in the Crome browser, mentioned above, is still rearing it's ugly head. Since half the world, or more, use Crome, one would have thought they'd have fixed this problem by now, but apparently not. The webclipper works fine in FireFox, but no one uses FireFox these days. 

Archived