Feature to hide note and/or tag

kaushikhalvadiya@yahoo.co.

Idea

Hi team,

It would be good if there is a feature to hide a specific note or hide a specific tag(so that all note under that tag will be hidden automatically).

I think this feature will add more value to this product.

A user of that Evernote will also get the benefit of hiding some private info with pears those are sitting next to him/standing behind him/her.

Thank you

Kaushik

7 replies to this idea

Seems like a good idea, for now I use a separate account to deal with a large number of notes I don't normally wish to see (job training), otherwise encryption works well enough for everything else (it hides information from searches too, so you need to leave a hint to find it later).

• Level 5*

A separate account for my personal  stuff is what I do, and then I just don't share notebooks that contain private stuff to my work account. I can't imagine the feature as requested to be very useful to most people; could be wrong, though -- that's why they have voting here.

I like the idea of being able to hide a note. This kind of goes hand in hand with being able to password protect certain notes too. Encryption sounds good but sometimes you may be showing somebody something on your computer and a note may show up while doing a search that could be sensitive. Would be nice to hide or password protect that note too.

I've been contemplating ways to filter out sensitive information as well and haven't quite found a good solution for myself but thinking of pushing sensive notes to a separate account as jefito mentions. It is easy to manage multiple accounts with the paid level that allows account switching. I use the encryption frequently but it does not work for attachments so it's not a complete solution.

Unfortunately I have a ton of notes I want to hide and it will likley quickly exceed the non-paid account level upload limit and I don't want to pay for 2 evernote accounts. I'll probably need to just move a chunk of them every month until I hit the limit, repeat every month until they are all moved.

So yes, I would like to see a method to hide notes as well. Perhaps it would be easier to implement by notebook vs by tag.

Yes I realize that all EN data is stored locally on the machine and accessible to anyone and anyone technically savvy can get into it but I believe it would be good enough for most folks to just filter them out of the UI.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Thresha said:

Unfortunately I have a ton of notes I want to hide and it will likley quickly exceed the non-paid account level upload limit and I don't want to pay for 2 evernote accounts. I'll probably need to just move a chunk of them every month until I hit the limit, repeat every month until they are all moved.

You don't need paid accounts to implement sharing. I pay for my personal account, and use a free account at work. I have software development reference materials that I would use anywhere in a single personal notebook, and I share that with my work account. I share a couple of others as well, but don't share personal stuff. I do share work notebooks with my personal account; handy for when I work at home. This system works reasonably well, and exists today...

6 hours ago, jefito said:

You don't need paid accounts to implement sharing. I pay for my personal account, and use a free account at work. I have software development reference materials that I would use anywhere in a single personal notebook, and I share that with my work account. I share a couple of others as well, but don't share personal stuff. I do share work notebooks with my personal account; handy for when I work at home. This system works reasonably well, and exists today...

Yes I realize that sharing can be done with free accounts, I used to have split personal/professional accounts as well (software developer here too, work at home.) But I am not interested in the sharing at this point, I want them invisible in my personal account (which is why I plan to move sensitive notes to a separate account.) There are things I document that I would prefer to keep private (journals and such) and I'm not one to keep my PC locked.

Rather my young child not accidentally find something he isn't quite mentally ready for yet as I prepare to scan a box full of memories from when I was a teenager!

I used to use local notebooks, export then encrypt but was never very good at managing them, I have a pile of them from years ago that I've pretty much forgotten about. I'd prefer to keep things in the cloud and just limit the visibility. Out of sight but I know they are secure when I feel like a trip down memory lane.

• Level 5*
21 hours ago, Thresha said:

I'm not one to keep my PC locked.

Win+L is easy enough, but If you need to share share a computer, it's not a not a particularly high hurdle to overcome. That's what separate Windows accounts are there for.

Or at least you can have separate Evernote accounts, and keep one for private stuff, with no sharing, and only switch to it as needed File / sign out <personal@email.com>, then sign into private@email.com, then sign out when done. Or just sign out from Evernote altogether.

Archived