I have been using Evernote for years but I suspect like a lot of users I get my notebooks very cluttered..decided it was time to tidy up. I have noticed that somehow I 'loose' notebooks but they are actually there but in a stack that Evernote has created. How does this happen and how can I stop it.. I use stacks but really dont want these new ones to 'appear'

Thanks if someone can help

• Level 5*
14 minutes ago, OldRuth said:

in a stack that Evernote has created. How does this happen and how can I stop it.. I use stacks but really dont want these new ones to 'appear'

Not a big notebook user, but I've not experience Evernote creating Stacks.  

Can you post some examples.  What stacknames are being generated.

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

Not a big notebook user, but I've not experience Evernote creating Stacks.  

Can you post some examples.  What stacknames are being generated.

I think I may have solved my problem -- Under help you can look at stacks -- they are really useful -- for instance I have a Cooking Stack and then under it I have a bunch of different notebooks on various categories i.e. British cooking, Deserts etc..I tried showing these but n luck. You create a stack by pulling a second notebook under the first notebook -- You then get a stack -- now this is a bit clutzy -- you then normally rename the stack. Since you can accidently create a stack this is clearly what I have done.. Turns out I can unstack notebooks by deleting the stack -- which is a bit scary but it does say -- do you really want to do this and you won't delete the notebooks..I would like this to be implemented a bit more intuitively.

Thanks for your interest and sorry I couldn't copy mine

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, OldRuth said:

You create a stack by pulling a second notebook under the first notebook -- You then get a stack -- now this is a bit clutzy

I agree it's "clutzy"

On Macs, we don't have this function in the Sidebar; we have to go to the Notebook page 

Even there, I've accidently dragged notebooks to other stacks.

• Level 5*
44 minutes ago, OldRuth said:

You create a stack by pulling a second notebook under the first notebook -- You then get a stack -- now this is a bit clutzy

Maybe clutzy, maybe not.

When you drag/drop notebooks in the notebook list, you're doing a stack operation. If you drop a notebook on a stack or on a notebook in a stack, then it becomes a member of that stack. If however you drop it on a notebook that's not a stack, it assumes that you want to create a new one containing both notebooks. And if you drag it to the head of the notebook list (the main "Notebooks" item), it removes the notebook from whatever stack it lived in. Well, there is one exception; if you drag a notebook to the Trash it will do a permanent deletion of the notebook and its notes, but you get a big error message warning you about that and the ability to cancel. Note that dragging stacks around does nothing.

Anyways, maybe a little unintuitive (hence your surprise), but consistent, and pretty handy once you get it down.

I use stacks all the time, but I keep forgetting how to move notebooks into existing stacks. The reason is because it's intuitive for me to try dragging a notebook in the NAVIGATION SIDEBAR into a stack there. That does not work, it ignores my attempts. The only way to do it that I have found is that you have to click on Notebooks in the sidebar first, then move them around. But I never, never go there and after a year or two I forget about it and go back to the frustration of trying to drag a notebook into a stack in the navigation sidebar.

I would strongly recommend an improvement to Evernote to let the user organize via the navigation sidebar this way. Having to click on the Notebooks (high level) first is counter-intuitive because as long as the navigation bar exists the Notebooks view is not frequented.

• 1 month later...

Archived