Database Encryption

tRav525

Idea

I can't image this has not been requested in the past, but I want to request encryption support for the Evernote client database (.exb).  Currently the synced content is readily available in the clear and an account password is not needed to access it.  All it takes is for someone to set up a temp Evernote account, then rename the target .exb database filename to match the name of the temp account and bam... they have the data.  No password required.  

Massive concern in today's world.

3 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, tRav525 said:

All it takes is for someone to set up a temp Evernote account, then rename the target .exb database filename to match the name of the temp account and bam... they have the data.  No password required.  

This would be the Windows platform
This "someone" would need access to your computer, and your password to login to the computer

Same requirements on the Mac platform

I turned on FileVault on my Mac.  My disk is encrypted; the data content is not available "in the clear".  I don't have details but I'm sure there's a Windows equivalent

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, tRav525 said:

I can't image this has not been requested in the past, but I want to request encryption support for the Evernote client database (.exb).  Currently the synced content is readily available in the clear and an account password is not needed to access it.  All it takes is for someone to set up a temp Evernote account, then rename the target .exb database filename to match the name of the temp account and bam... they have the data.  No password required.  

Massive concern in today's world.

Some folks use VeraCrypt or the likes for on the fly encryption.  Don't know how that would work with the scenario you paint above.

Archived