Scroll within note to copy/cut not working

RgaDawg

Idea

Scrolling down in note to copy/cut jumpy & usually doesn't work.
This issue has always happened on my EN for the past 6 years. I do have a request in to Support as Plus member.

Inside note (Win) hold left mouse button, attempt to scroll down note to select multiple lines for copy/cut, but mostly unresponsive, jumpy. It happens on my laptop also. Both systems are seriously robust, so nothing in my system, video card, display, RAM, i7, etc., Both systems will allow me to do the same function in all of my other apps, and I have lots of apps, text editors, word processors, etc.. There is nothing in either PC, laptop/desktop performance issues that would cause this. Every other app works perfectly.

I tried uninstalling, reinstalling.
I tried setting sync to difference settings,
I tried opening note in separate window
Nothing I do makes any difference

Note: I'm not talking about the scroll bar to the right side. That works fine, and lets me scroll as fast as I want. It's just when I attempt to highlight pieces of text for copy/cut within the note itself

ScreenCapture 11172017000.jpg

11 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, RgaDawg said:

Scrolling down in note to copy/cut jumpy & usually doesn't work.

For whatever reason, I don't experience this.  If I place the cursor in a note, left click, hold and drag, the text is highlighted as I go.  If I drag the cursor below the top/bottom of the screen quickly, highlighting does not appear, but it does appear immediately after I top scrolling.  At which point I can continue scrolling or do the copy.  No jumpy in the process.

I had issues with a mouse once which created the symptoms you are describing.  But since it is happening on two systems for you probably not the issue.

14 minutes ago, CalS said:

For whatever reason, I don't experience this.  If I place the cursor in a note, left click, hold and drag, the text is highlighted as I go.  If I drag the cursor below the top/bottom of the screen quickly, highlighting does not appear, but it does appear immediately after I top scrolling.  At which point I can continue scrolling or do the copy.  No jumpy in the process.

I had issues with a mouse once which created the symptoms you are describing.  But since it is happening on two systems for you probably not the issue.

Yes. You just described how things are supposed to work, and how things do work on every other app I have on my Desktop, Laptop. So if it were a mouse issue, or even custom setting with my mouse, then the issue would appear on my other apps as well.

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, RgaDawg said:

Yes. You just described how things are supposed to work, and how things do work on every other app I have on my Desktop, Laptop. So if it were a mouse issue, or even custom setting with my mouse, then the issue would appear on my other apps as well.

Hmm.  Weird, not sure what could be different with my EN that would have it work as expected whilst yours doesn't.  Oh well, go nothing else.

On 11/18/2017 at 8:39 PM, CalS said:

Well, if you think that's the case you could select the note and do Ctrl-Help and select Fix note.  Or you could try doing the copy on the web version.  

Ctrl-H brings up the Search/Replace fields at bottom of note. Ctrl+G brings up only the search field. I do not see anywhere a "Fix" note .. besides going through all my notes one at a time to "Fix" a note sounds more than I want to do.

On 11/18/2017 at 6:22 PM, CalS said:

Hmm.  Weird, not sure what could be different with my EN that would have it work as expected whilst yours doesn't.  Oh well, go nothing else.

And I would guess that 99.9999999 percent of EN users don't experience this issue. So, I really don't expect support to do anything, disappointing. A major function completely rendered useless, unresponsive.

On 11/18/2017 at 8:39 PM, CalS said:

Well, if you think that's the case you could select the note and do Ctrl-Help and select Fix note.  Or you could try doing the copy on the web version.  

Ctl+H brings up the search/replace fields at bottom of note (see pic). Ctl+G brings up only the search fields. I do not see anywhere any kind of "Fix" function. Besides, using a Fix function for every note I have would be quite a task. And if I wanted to use the Web version then I wouldn't have any need at all for a local version, which kinda renders EN (local) quite useless. I think I pay for using the local EN as well as the web version.

ScreenCapture 11202017003.jpg

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, RgaDawg said:

Ctl+H brings up the search/replace fields at bottom of note (see pic). Ctl+G brings up only the search fields. I do not see anywhere any kind of "Fix" function. Besides, using a Fix function for every note I have would be quite a task.

Press Ctrl while clicking on the Help option in the menu bar.

Image.png.ec9169f70b95901bb295be2642491b4c.png

I've often wondered why EN didn't have an optimize dB. There's a whole new menu there. Unfortunately, none of the fixes work. It's almost like the EN app itself is bogging down. Definitely not resources. This is a seriously powerful Desktop as mentioned. And then, so mysterious, it also happens with my laptop. Both will run any app you throw at it, including scrolling for cut/copy as fast as you can throw at all apps and everything outside EN works perfectly. This has always happened with my EN since I started using it 6 years ago, but it has recently got worse. Any more ideas ? And thanks for taking time to respond to this. What if there were something contaminated on the server side ? And EN web version works so perfectly. So disappointing. This is one of my most frequently used apps.

The longer the note is, the more unresponsive the issue is. Is there anyway I can allocate more resources for this particular app?

• Level 5*

You are welcome.

29 minutes ago, RgaDawg said:

What if there were something contaminated on the server side ?

I wouldn't think so.  Seems like a client side issue to me, but I'm no EN internals expert.

The longer the note is, the more unresponsive the issue is. Is there anyway I can allocate more resources for this particular app?

Don't know the answer to that one.

Any more ideas ?

Two things, just going after some of the typical sources for slow downs. 

1. If you have context enabled, I would try things without it enabled, Tools - Options - Note (with Show advanced options checked).
  2. It may or may not help, but there is a workaround to absolutely stop EN from syncing for a period of time.  The link is below with detailed instructions.  May or may not be worth the effort to you (5-10 minutes), but it could be worth a try.  I use the technique when I know I am going to do heavy editing to a note.  However, my EN speed is typically great.  FWIW.

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s186/sh/ec05ed88-ae37-457d-b188-399615a71449/00e5278c5643d9fe

Archived