Jump to content
  • 2

Recently used tags


jyc23

Idea

It would be so incredibly useful to have a list of recently used tags (say, recently tagged tags, as opposed to recently viewed tags ...) available somewhere in the interface. Some people have suggested renaming currently used tags in some way to indicate that are relevant now (by adding an exclamation mark in front) ... and while that's an okay workaround, it involves a level of manual labor that gets in the way of just being able to use Evernote. 

Link to post

4 replies to this idea

Recommended Posts

  • 0
  • Level 5*
17 minutes ago, jyc23 said:

Some people have suggested renaming currently used tags in some way to indicate that are relevant now (by adding an exclamation mark in front)

You can also pin selected Tags in the Shortcuts section

Personally, I disable the "Recent" sections.  I find it too random to be of use

Link to post
  • 0
  • Level 5*
19 hours ago, jyc23 said:

It would be so incredibly useful to have a list of recently used tags (say, recently tagged tags, as opposed to recently viewed tags ...) available somewhere in the interface. Some people have suggested renaming currently used tags in some way to indicate that are relevant now (by adding an exclamation mark in front) ... and while that's an okay workaround, it involves a level of manual labor that gets in the way of just being able to use Evernote. 

Out of interest what is the use case on this one?

Link to post
  • 0
1 hour ago, csihilling said:

Out of interest what is the use case on this one?

Sure, thanks for asking. So recently I've been helping my parents get their medicare / insurance squared away, and I've been using a few different tags to organize the information that I find and the notes I make. When tagging notes, sometimes I forget the exact tag name (my memory is not very good when it comes to things like that), so at the beginning of an organization session I often find myself making a few guesses (or worse, coming up new tags) before I remember / find the tags that I last used. Having a list of the most recent, say, 10 tags that I used would be helpful for me as I wouldn't need to remember / go searching for the tags I was using last time. 

For people who use a lot of tags all of the time, I guess this wouldn't be as useful. But for me, it would be quite useful. 

I actually struggle with tags. Like I said, I have a hard time remembering how I've named tags, and I've tried coming with a variety of systems for organizing the tags but it's hard for me to find one that actually works. 

I guess I could just add the tags that I'm currently using a lot to my shortcuts list. Hm, yeah, I should give that try. Ha! 

Link to post
  • 0
  • Level 5*

Thanks for the explanation.  I feel your pain, I do need to review the tag tree from time to time because memory can fade.  However, I've only grown to about 400 tags while I've been using EN.  I'm in the camp of less is more, I use them to focus search results.  You know, like one tag for PC.Stuff and then text search from there.  With 400 tags I can kind of remember all of them since they represent what they are, Statement for example. But my use case is paperless, reference and tasks which may make it easier.

Workaround in the meantime, you might consider a single tag, Medicare, use it on all notes and add tags as differentiation is needed.  Or do a compound tag to start, Medi.tag1, Medi.tag2, etc.  Then typing medi in the tag select will display all the tags you created or a search with tag:Medi* will at least return all the notes in your process.  Then clean up at the end of the project if need be.

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...