Automatically list all the checkboxes in note at the top of note

VincentChen123

Idea

When we take notes, it is natural for us to mark a paragraph with a checkbox as a todo task. But if we let these todo checkbox stay where they are, it has a fair chance that we will miss something. So we have to gather "manually" these boxes at the beginning of the note. But it would be much better if evernote could handle this automatically for us.

And this checkbox list could allow us to click on one item to jump to the original position in that note. I believe this would help us improve the productivity.

Hope this feature could be on your list. Thanks.

7 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, VincentChen123 said:

But if we let these todo checkbox stay where they are, it has a fair chance that we will miss something.

Not what you’re asking for but my approach to note taking is to work in a column format so my checkboxes stand out on the left side of the page.

This could be an actual multi column table in Evernote 

I found this post on Note taking helpful  https://michaelhyatt.com/047-the-lost-art-of-note-taking-podcast.html

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, VincentChen123 said:

When we take notes, it is natural for us to mark a paragraph with a checkbox as a todo task. But if we let these todo checkbox stay where they are, it has a fair chance that we will miss something. So we have to gather "manually" these boxes at the beginning of the note. But it would be much better if evernote could handle this automatically for us.

My usual rule of thumb is that if your todo lists are too long, then you need to prioritize to put the most important ones at the top (there are countless methodologies for doing this, GTD, Eisenhower matrix, etc.).

One other thing that you can do is keep your todo descriptions in a simple list, and have each item be a note link to a separate note that has detailed information. Search the web for "evernote table of contents note" for how to do that in Evernote.

13 小時前, DTLow說:

Not what you’re asking for but my approach to note taking is to work in a column format so my checkboxes stand out on the left side of the page.

This could be an actual multi column table in Evernote 

I found this post on Note taking helpful  https://michaelhyatt.com/047-the-lost-art-of-note-taking-podcast.html

Usually I don't use tables for structuring my notes for it makes things too complicated. But I will make a try to see if it would work for me. And thanks for sharing that podcast. It provides many tips and tricks about note-taking. Really helpful.

7 小時前, jefito說:

My usual rule of thumb is that if your todo lists are too long, then you need to prioritize to put the most important ones at the top (there are countless methodologies for doing this, GTD, Eisenhower matrix, etc.).

One other thing that you can do is keep your todo descriptions in a simple list, and have each item be a note link to a separate note that has detailed information. Search the web for "evernote table of contents note" for how to do that in Evernote.

Yes, this is also what I am doing right now. But sometimes I feel it is more convenient by listing all todos and dealing with them in one single note. In this case, it would be helpful if evernote can do something for us, especially the click and jump function. Maybe this will make evernote too heavy? Let's keep this thread open and see what others say.

• Level 5*
17 hours ago, VincentChen123 said:

Yes, this is also what I am doing right now. But sometimes I feel it is more convenient by listing all todos and dealing with them in one single note. In this case, it would be helpful if evernote can do something for us, especially the click and jump function. Maybe this will make evernote too heavy? Let's keep this thread open and see what others say.

Workaround.  You could add your to-do's at the top of the note with some made up tag like _TODO1.  I would precede with the _ since it is searchable.  Then use Crrl-F within the note to jump from the to-dos to the paragraph in the note.  Some work but should work.

18 小時前, csihilling說:

Workaround.  You could add your to-do's at the top of the note with some made up tag like _TODO1.  I would precede with the _ since it is searchable.  Then use Crrl-F within the note to jump from the to-dos to the paragraph in the note.  Some work but should work.

Nice trick! I'll make a try. Thanks.

Archived