What happened to formatting of my Code blocks?

I have a lot of notes with text blocks formatted as Code. Suddenly these blocks appear to have been oddly reformatted, with each line apparently enclosed in a doubly-nested code block. 

I can select these lines, then "Simplify Formatting" and they are transformed to a single block with default text style. Then I can reapply the Code style to get something like what I had. But what a pain! 

• Level 5*

Hi.  Is this change after a recent update?  What version of the app are you currently running?  Have you checked the affected notes on the web by logging in to Evernote.com?  Do they display correctly there,  but not on the device you;re using?

Evernote 6.12 Beta 3. I just noticed the problem the other day; it may have been after an update. 

The same problem appears in the web interface! See attached screenshot, showing Safari. Note near the top of the image how when the line wraps the continuation actually overwrites the first part of the line. 

There are many, many instances of this in my notes. 

Not good! 

EvernoteFormatBug.tiff

I'm seeing the same issue.

It often manifests when I enter a code block in the Mac app, then later open that same note in the iOS app, where the code formatting is as described above.

This only started with the recent 6.12 Mac update, I believe.

I selected a block of several lines that were afflicted with this bug, and gave the "Simplify Formatting" command. 

The formatting was simplified to apparently the default text style, but the last line of the block was unselected

This is repeatable: I select the now-simplified block and give the Simplify command again, and nothing changes except the last line of the block is unselected. 

Also, applying the "code block" style does nothing. 

Here's the text I'm using: 

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> [necessary?]
<resources>  [must be root node]
    <string name="string_name">Some Text</string>
</resources>

This is with version 6.12.2

I'm also having an issue w/ code blocks. They used to work great, but now they don't work at all. I can't copy-paste existing ones, and I can't make new ones. This sucks as my Evernote is my lab notebook for computational research and I usually make about 20 code blocks a day.

I can still make a code block on text that was written before the issue started, but not on text added recently.

Simplify formatting seems to have  a similar error. Multicolored text won't simplify.

Evernote also won't let me submit a ticket to ask about the issue (there's simply no submit button when I go through the process...)

• Level 5

FFS what a mess. Having the same issue -- lots of old code blocks became unreadable messes, or turned into blocks-in-a-block with each line in its own nested codeblock. I guess the Evernote devs don't dogfood otherwise I assume they'd have never released it like that.

Holy cow I just discovered that if I try to codeblock NON-bulleted text, it works fine.

It's within my bullet organization that I can't make new codeblocks. Can copy-paste old ones but they format terribly.

Hope they can fix this to be compatible with bullet outlines again. I assume I'm not the only user who needs to indent code.

• Ex Employees

The intended behavior of code blocks is text only. This means no bullet/numbered lists, todos, horizontal rules, tables, images, encryption. On certain versions of the app, it was possible to add these options to code blocks but in future updates it will be text only.

There have been fixes and updates to code block that will be available in the forthcoming updates. This should address the "double code blocks" and paste and match style issues. Please keep your app updated, and if you notice any outstanding issues after the update, please open a support ticket and we'll gladly assist you further.

• Level 5

Jay-Bob: glad to hear an update is coming but... does it address the issue ....

...where random `;` semicolon characters get added to the end of certain lines when creating code blocks?

...where URLs keep getting turned into clickable links even after manually removing them (over and over)

...where font size goes completely haywire when Simplify Formatting or Cmd+Shift+K (remove link) is used?

I made a simple animated GIF screencast to show some of these problems... really easy to reproduce on a Mac running 6.13 beta 2

yGZuSJ9.gif

6 hours ago, Jay-Bob said:

The intended behavior of code blocks is text only. This means no bullet/numbered lists, todos, horizontal rules, tables, images, encryption. On certain versions of the app, it was possible to add these options to code blocks but in future updates it will be text only.

But why? Why would you add that feature and then take it out? This makes my notes such a mess. Really looking forward to copy-pasting indented code blocks for the next several years until a better app / update comes along..

18 hours ago, Jay-Bob said:

There have been fixes and updates to code block that will be available in the forthcoming updates. This should address the "double code blocks" and paste and match style issues. Please keep your app updated, and if you notice any outstanding issues after the update, please open a support ticket and we'll gladly assist you further.

The worst part of this is no bulleted/numbered lists, since they provide a way to insert a code block into a "parent" list without messing up the parent's numbering scheme. The code can be a 1 (or more) item sub-list inside a parent item. Sadly, I have used this a lot. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Ex Employees
39 minutes ago, soyned said:

Still waiting for an update on putting code blocks back into bulleted lists. 

Hi soyned, thanks for reaching back out. This will not be a feature going forward. The intended behavior is that code block exists on its own with only text inside of it.

• Level 5
1 hour ago, Jay-Bob said:

Hi soyned, thanks for reaching back out. This will not be a feature going forward. The intended behavior is that code block exists on its own with only text inside of it.

Great. Now how about making that part work at least.

• 1 month later...

Archived