(Archived) [Mockup] New look for Evernote

kottkrig

Since I've been going on and on about how I don't like the current Evernote for Android interface I thought I'd make a quick mockup sketch of how I think the new Android Client should look. :)

I've looked into the new UI Guidelines that Google has presented for Android, primarely the dashboard and the action bar. This is what it looks like:

Evernote-concept.png

Obviously all the artwork needs to be retouched (or at the very least be scaled up). Maybe some simpler icons? I'm not very good at icons myself so I'm not going to make a go at it. Maybe someone else?

What do you guys think?

Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the feedback. We had someone at the Google IO conference, and we learned a lot of things that we can do better to be more "Androidy". Google definitely wants the home page to look closer to your mock-up. (I have the Facebook app on my Droid, and I think they're looking for something like that.)

I'll pass this along to our design guys, thanks for taking the time to put this together!

• 1 month later...

This is pretty and all, but when I open Evernote (on any device, PC or Android or Mac), the thing I usually want to do is look something up, not make a new note. The only icons on the home screen are for making new stuff. My #1 Android app request (ok, beyond offline usage -- I take the subway to work) is a home screen icon to switch to viewing/browsing my notes. Hiding it in the menu is just silly. In fact I'd prefer a home screen that's just a list of notes, with "new note" in the menu. But that's just me.

In fact I'd prefer a home screen that's just a list of notes, with "new note" in the menu. But that's just me.

Not just you . . . +1 for me.

Yep. 90% of the time I want to view a note, 9% I want to edit a note (NOT append!), 1% I want to create a new note from scratch.

The main screen should reflect this use pattern.

This is pretty and all, but when I open Evernote (on any device, PC or Android or Mac), the thing I usually want to do is look something up, not make a new note. The only icons on the home screen are for making new stuff. My #1 Android app request (ok, beyond offline usage -- I take the subway to work) is a home screen icon to switch to viewing/browsing my notes. Hiding it in the menu is just silly. In fact I'd prefer a home screen that's just a list of notes, with "new note" in the menu. But that's just me.

That's very different from how I use evernote on mobile. 90% of the time I just want to make a quick note. I do agree however that hiding the notes in the menu-button is a bad idea so I refined my concept to look like this:

Evernote-koncept-with-notes.png

It makes the notes more discoverable imho but it's still not really what you're looking for since you most of the time want to go directly to the notes list. But that could be a setting in the preference pane. (Skip dashboard and go directly to notes)

I would like as many options as possible on that home screen. Most important for me is getting to a particular note I need. I know the idea is to do a search, any maybe when I have 4,000 notes that will be best, but for now, going to folders, then to the note works best for me. Or using Favorites. So, having Folders and Favorites readily available, either on the home screen or on the page when you click on "Notes" would be my preference.

I'm thinking that the layout of the Notes view should be more like the Gallery App on the Nexus one or the current version of Evernote for iPad:

Evernote-koncept-Notes-list.png

There should be a menu option to toogle if you'd like to see the Notebooks or the most recent notes.

Maybe it's just me but I prefer a visual approach to finding my notes. I'm much more of a browser than a searcher. I keep my stuff fairly organized and even if I don't I usually recognize a particular note when I see it. The iPad version of Evernote nails it in my book.

(To get back to the previous screen you press the back-button or the Evernote-logo. There should also be a setting for jumping directly to this view when starting evernote)

Archived