Danger: you can lose your offline notes

I'm using EN on 3 devices with all notebooks sync for offline use. I did a fresh install of evernote 8.2.1 and wait till all notebooks are finished to download. Because I have a lot of data to download (16Gb), I've checked the available space on my devices. There was 30Gb and Evernote it takes about 170Mb.
But I see that now, after download 16Gb of notes on every device, with all notes sync for offline uses, in the ios settings I see that Evernote it takes 212Mb. So I think that my offline notes are still in a "cache memory". I try to reset memory, restart devices, nothing change. The notes are available for offline use, but there are not in the Evernote directory. To be sure about this I've empty Evernote cache on one device and all notes disappear from for offline use.
It is what it happened to me about one month ago when one morning i founded that all my notes disappeared from offline use and En started to download again by itself.
So I think you have to don't trust that your notes are safe "backuped" on device for offline use.
You can't be sure that your notes are in any moment with you (only for paying users) like Evernote tell us. You can't be sure that ios or Evernote don't decide to empty the memory for freeing space for another app.

IMG_6367.JPG

IMG_6368.JPG

IMG_6369.JPG

• Level 5*

I can confirm that Evernote doesn't use the standard application storage for offline data.  I have 8GB of data, and the displayed data # didn't show that; instead, I refer to the total used/available #s

You are not in danger of "losing" your notes, just the offline copy.  The master version continues to be stored on the Evernote servers

• Level 5*
On 2017-05-07 at 2:45 AM, enki said:

You can't be sure that ios or Evernote don't decide to empty the memory for freeing space for another app.

Does anyone have evidence of offline notes being dumped to free up memory?

• Level 5*
On 5/7/2017 at 4:45 AM, enki said:

But I see that now, after download 16Gb of notes on every device, with all notes sync for offline uses, in the ios settings I see that Evernote it takes 212Mb.

The storage displayed on the IOS application storage screens is rubbish relative to EN.  I discovered this a couple of years ago when I had 8GB downloaded and 200MB displaying.  Don't know why, but it has nothing to do with offline storage used.  

Best way to determine if your notes are on the phone is to disconnect from the world and try and open one.  If it doesn't open then you either have a bug to report or EN hasn't completed downloading all your notes (which seems to take longer than before with this current release).

Hi csihiling,

If your iphone decide to free the cash memory you lose your offline notes. If you make a ios  update it is easy that ios free cache memory. Also for Evernote update. You never know when it happens. At anytime you can have the big surprise to lose offline notes. For me the offline notes are  very important. I'm working in offline conditions a lot of time in a day and I need my notes. For me it is not a option to have everytime the offline notes, it is a must, you understand?

And is not correct for Evernote to claim that if you are a Premium user you can have your notes offline. Sometime you can have offline notes becouse you are a Premium user. This is right.

• Level 5*

AFAIK, if you set a notebook as offline in IOS it is supposed to be stored locally on the device.  Shouldn't have anything to do with cache.  If an IOS update occurs check your offline notebook settings to be sure they are the same.  If yoru notes aren't offline, it is a bug and you should report it to EN.

I've reported them. I've opened a ticket 29 of April

One hour ago they answered me:

"We have identified a few of those issues with offline notebook downloads - clearing the cache should not reset offline notebooks, and they should not take so long to download. We plan to address both of these issues in our next release, barring any complications."

Today there are 10 days since I've stopped use Evernote and I think I will use ios icloud note. The support said "we plan to adress this issue" not we will fix for sure with the next release, so i think I have no choice.

Note works really fine and I just adapted my workflow from Evernote to Note  I didn't yet export all Evernote notes becouse I hope in a Evernote update. If will arrive in one week I will continue with Evernote, but if not, I will transfer everything in Note and continue with Note. 

• Level 5*

It would be great if the offline download could be faster.  It takes many days for my download to complete

So far, I've had no problem with losing my offline download because of the storage location (cache?)

• Level 5*
On 5/9/2017 at 2:42 PM, enki said:

Note works really fine and I just adapted my workflow from Evernote to Note  I didn't yet export all Evernote notes becouse I hope in a Evernote update. If will arrive in one week I will continue with Evernote, but if not, I will transfer everything in Note and continue with Note. 

Not sure when 8.2.2 or 8.3 or whatever will be available, but it sounds like there is a chance the problems will be fixed,  But the proof is in the pudding....

• Level 5*
21 hours ago, enki said:

Today there are 10 days since I've stopped use Evernote and I think I will use ios icloud note.

If Apple Notes does a better job at satisfying your requirements, then go for it
Good bye; Good Luck

For me, Apple Notes is a completely different product, and doesn't do the job
I'm sticking with Evernote

On concern I have - How easy is it to export my data? Easy in Evernote; difficult in Apple Notes

Archived