Searching within email attachments

Mark J Ash

I want to get some emails into evernote - rather than emailing to my evernote email address i can just drag and drop them onto the note - I can add as many emails as I like to a note.  I can quick look them on my mac or download etc.  An easy way of getting correspondence into the note.

HOWEVER - i don't think its possible to search within the email attachment - I tried copying and posting some text into the search box and there was no results - am I doing something wrong!?

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Mark J Ash said:

HOWEVER - i don't think its possible to search within the email attachment - I tried copying and posting some text into the search box and there was no results - am I doing something wrong!?

I save a pdf export of the email.  They're searchable, and can be viewed inline

I actually save two attachments, pdf and email format

• Level 5*

If you are not a paid subscriber your PDFs are only searchable if you OCR them yourself.  Other attachment types are only searchable if you are a paid subscriber.

• Level 5*
26 minutes ago, Mark J Ash said:

I am a premium member, does that count? 

It's a good start.  I'm guessing you're using a Windows device

Your problem is, as you pointed out in your first post, you are storing the email as an .eml file attachment.

Evernote doesn't search .eml files

To be searchable, you need to pick a different format.  I use PDF format.

I am totally Mac and iOS based actually.  But I would imagine the lack of searching these files still applies.  Thats a shame it cant search .eml files and I wonder why - as it can search PDFs and photos etc

• Level 5*
45 minutes ago, Mark J Ash said:

I am totally Mac and iOS based actually.  But I would imagine the lack of searching these files still applies.  Thats a shame it cant search .eml files and I wonder why - as it can search PDFs and photos etc

I'm Mac/IOS based too.

As you said, Evernote currently searches pdf, images, office/iWork files.  It's technically possible to include other formats. 

You could post in the request forum to see if there's much demand to include the eml format. 

• Level 5*

Mark posted a request for this feature as linked below.  
If you see the need for this feature, please go to that discussion and add your vote

Archived