(Archived) Tag manager needed

deiga

Idea

Hi,

I tried to use the search but didn't come up with anything relating to this idea.

The thing that I have been missing in my usage of EN isa simple tag manager. Preferably a separate window with a search bar and a cloud of the most used tags or most recent used tags. And when typing in the search field it would update the list to the tags that were a close match to the search.

I miss this feature, because I have loads of different tags and sometimes I only remember a note by something that is not included in the note or in the tags. But I can remember what the tags were about and it's just too difficult to scroll through all tags in the little list.

12 replies to this idea

A Tag Manager is a definite must. Not only for tagging notes and finding notes by their tag, but just to combine tags, create tag-children, separate tag-families. Tags proliferate, a separate HUD would help organize them.

• Level 5

This is going to become more and more of an issue as the number of tags increases for Evernote users.

When I hit 250 tags, I decided to start using a hierarchy of tags.

But with all the new notes, I am back to square one. Even though I rely on 3 levels of tags for a variety of major subjects, it is getting increasingly more difficult to navigate through the maze of tags.

Example:

* When I create a tag for "Biden Joe", it is listed alphabetically at the top of my tags.

* So I have to drag the name down, down, down to the tag "People".

* The scrolling of the long list of tags is painfully slow as well.

* After he is moved there, I have to be sure that the sub-tag "Democrats" is opened.

* I finally drag him to that spot.

Maybe some Evernote power-users have an easier solution.

I have an experimental tag managing application I've developed for OS X.

I backs up tags and their document associations to your local drive.

Allows you to maintain the tag tree via simple dragging and dropping.

Generates a 3D tag cloud that can be manipulated.

I'm working on getting it ready for the open market, but it's still early enough to build in new features...

So what are people looking for in a tag manager?

Thanks

Barry

• Level 5

So what are people looking for in a tag manager?

1.) When the number of tags exceeds the vertical height of the window, the current Evernote tag panel does not scroll smoothly. In the case I mentioned above, when I try to drag a tag "Biden Joe" down to the the parent tag "People", I have to tease the mouse around the lower bar to get the list to scroll.

2.) Moving a tag "Biden Joe" past a parent tag "Political Issues" will suddenly pop open the entire list and make the downward scrolling even longer.

Good luck with your project.

Here's a short list of functions that would help me out in the short term (in no particular order):

a. merge tags -- e.g. right now if you have "dog" and "dogs", to consolidate to "dog", you have to add "dog" to all notes tagged "dogs" then delete "dogs"

b. a way to attach an existing tag as a child to another tag other than drag-n-drop. DnD is great when the tags show up near each other (alphabetically) but DnD is nearly impossible with hundreds of tags because of scrolling. e.g. pop a second list of tags when I left click on tag and select "choose parent".

c. delete empty tags

d. sort tags by number of notes

e. show tags most correlated with this tag

f. spell checker on tags

g. search and replace within tag name e.g. all appearances of "ip" should become "intellectual property" to avoid confusion with new tag I want to add "ip address"

h. option to show tag expanded to include parent name e.g. parent:child1:child2 in note

...and probably lots of other stuff I haven't run into yet.

Here is an initial version of a Tag management tool for Evernote for the Mac.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tag-mave ... 8959?mt=12

It's just a first cut, feedback is greatly appreciated.

Let me see how many of the features on DrSkippy27's list I can get into 1.01?

It already does:

d. sort tags by number of notes

And

a. merge tags -- e.g. right now if you have "dog" and "dogs", to consolidate to "dog", you have to add "dog" to all notes tagged "dogs" then delete "dogs"

Will definitely be in the next release, I really want that...

Thanks

Barry

For anybody else reading this thread:

You can make Tag Maven attempt a sync by tagging a note, or turning a tag off or on, or rearranging some tags in the tree.

This will make Tag Maven's state 'dirty' and it will need to sync the changes back to the Evernote service, and check for missing notes...

Use the "Sync with Evernote Button" again.

This should cause it to attempt syncing and pick up the remaining notes.

This fixed the problem for Mr Pearce.

He now has approx 8,000 notes in Tag Maven

Here is an initial version of a Tag management tool for Evernote for the Mac.

Will definitely be in the next release, I really want that...

Thanks

Barry

From feature list and screen shots, this seems like a good start! Now having a sad moment of jealousy since I am working on WIN/LINUX/IPAD/ANDROID, but not MAC... :|

DrS

Archived