batch editing titles to add text at beginning or end of title

cherylh124

Idea

I would like to select multiple notes and edit all their titles at once by adding new text as a prefix or suffix to the existing titles of the selected notes.  This could work similarly to the "add tags" / "move to notebook" feature for multiple notes, except there's a button "add title text" and you select whether "as prefix" or "as suffix".

As I have accumulated more and more notes, I use the Snippet view less often and the List view more frequently (to see more notes on one screen).  A title prefix can serve as a visual indicator for list view, providing much the same function as a thumbnail does in Snippet view.

Use case 1 (prefix):  Add note context as text at the beginning of the note title  

The date is a type of note context.  At the end of the day, I could show all notes created, select them, type in the date, and have it added to the beginning of each note title.  

Here's another example of adding note context to the title.  I work in marketing, and name my digital files by the type of content.  I may not remember exactly what I named a file, but I remember what type of file it is so this is how I start a file search.  Brochure file names start with BR, application notes start with AN, publications (peer-reviewed journal papers) start with PUB, advertisements start with AD, etc.  This is a fast aid to sort tons of files existing in a single folder, and rapidly zero in on the desired file.  I'd like to apply the same principle to my EN notes.

Use case 2 (suffix): Add a unique code to the end of a title.  

Sometimes, for a string of related notes, I include in the title a unique "code" that allows a search to find ONLY those notes.  I add it to the end of the title so it is "out of the way" as sometimes only the beginning of title text is visible on screen.  I assign tags for topics I will access frequently, trying to keep tags to a manageable level, and use "title codes" for rarely accessed but important info (such as computer repair history).  

5 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
20 minutes ago, cherylh124 said:

I would like to select multiple notes and edit all their titles at once by adding new text as a prefix or suffix to the existing titles of the selected notes.  This could work similarly to the "add tags" / "move to notebook" feature for multiple notes, except there's a button "add title text" and you select whether "as prefix" or "as suffix".

Until/If Evernote provides this feature, you can do it today IF you are using a Mac with EN Mac.

A simple AppleScript can easily do the job.  If you (or anyone is interested) reply and I'll post a same script.

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, cherylh124 said:

I would like to select multiple notes and edit all their titles at once by adding new text as a prefix or suffix to the existing titles of the selected notes.

Likewise, I use list view instead of snippet view.

Not sure about date as a prefix; seems redundant when we also have Creation and Modification date as separate fields. My standard for a note title standard is:   <subject> yyyymmdd <description>   This gives me an extra sort option

As to the request, adding text is easily scriptable on the MAC platform.  I've used applescript to do mass title updates

I'm an iPad / Android / Windows PC user.  Otherwise I would take you up on the offer, which is generous and kind.  Maybe it will help others.  I'm sure others have wished for this capability, I just don't know how many.

• Level 5*
On 4/17/2017 at 3:55 PM, cherylh124 said:

I'm an iPad / Android / Windows PC user.  Otherwise I would take you up on the offer, which is generous and kind.  Maybe it will help others.  I'm sure others have wished for this capability, I just don't know how many.

One way to ease the pain a bit is to use a text expander like PhraseExpress or AutoHotKey.  At least then you can use a hot key to replicated the keystrokes.

Archived