Clever way to tag people?

ericksonla

Has anyone come up with a clever way to tag people so that its easy for them to find changes relevant to them? What I would really like is if I had a shared notebook with Bob I could just put @bob in a note and it would email Bob. Given that I can't find any native notifications, I suspect thats not possible. Does anyone have a good work around? I tried just adding @bob and searching my notebook, but apparently the search can't handle the @ character.

• Level 5*
18 hours ago, ericksonla said:

I tried just adding @bob and searching my notebook, but apparently the search can't handle the @ character.

Add a tag to the note, and a shortcut to give you a quick list

For an automated method of emailing, you can use an IFTTT applet
but my preference is to do it internally.  I could script something on my Mac

• Level 5*
22 hours ago, ericksonla said:

Has anyone come up with a clever way to tag people so that its easy for them to find changes relevant to them?

I have found this approach to be very helpful, and easy to use:

Create/Assign a Tag for each person, using this naming convention:
Peo.<FirstName><LastInitial>

So, for John Smith, it would be:
Peo.JohnS

I use the first name because it is almost always easier to remember and spell than the last name.  If I have more than one person with the same name, I add something I can remember, maybe the last name.  So I might have:
Peo.JohnSmith
Peo.JohnSilver

This works great in the Tag Assignment and Tag Filter, when I can just type "peo." and it shows a drowload list of people.  Of course, typing more narrows the list, so "peo.j" would just show the above two Johns.

Assign this "people" Tag to every note associated with that person.
I have another tag, "MasterNote", that I assign to one, and only one, note for each entity, like a person.
This Note would, for example, have the full contact info for the person.

Finally I have a Saved Search named "Contacts", that lists one Note for each person:
tag:Peo.* tag:MasterNote

To create a clickable email address, usually just entering the address and return creates the link.
If not, or if you'd like the link text to be the name, select the text, and press ⌘K to enter the email address.

• Level 5*
On 2/19/2017 at 1:46 PM, ericksonla said:

Has anyone come up with a clever way to tag people so that its easy for them to find changes relevant to them? What I would really like is if I had a shared notebook with Bob I could just put @bob in a note and it would email Bob. Given that I can't find any native notifications, I suspect thats not possible. Does anyone have a good work around? I tried just adding @bob and searching my notebook, but apparently the search can't handle the @ character.

If you want to Bob in the note body, try using the underscore, it is searchable.  _Bob will work.

Archived