Display size of pdf

Magbert

Idea

When I add a pdf to Evernote the pdf is resized and I have to possibility to change the size as I have with pictures. I would like to have the default size set to 100% .

I am aware that I can display the pdf as an icon but that is not what I want.

This is especially annying if you have a pdf with a small display size like an ad or a receipt.

My current workaround is to add everything as pdf (displayed as icon) AND as jpg so that I see the content of the pdf. This is not a user friendly solution.

9 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi.  I think the display size of a PDF is set by the size attributes of the PDF file.  Mine are virtually all scanned to A4 or published by others to fit letter or A4 so I've never seen a too-small display,  or a too-large one.  I also think PDF's scale to fit the size of the window they're displayed in,  so a landscape tablet view will be much smaller than a desktop 24" monitor.  Are you producing these PDFs yourself?  If so,  it might be an idea to check the paper size settings or the image scaling settings on your scanner.  If they're third party files - are the small ones from one particular source?  Maybe someone else has their settings mixed up...

Hello

Thanks for your response. I am producing those PDFs myself.

In the Document Properties of Adobe Acrobat Pro DC I set the Magnification to 100%.

If I open the PDF produced that way in Adobe Reader it opens at 100%. Exactly as I want it to.

Only Evernote enlarges it making it look unsharp.

I attached a PDF produced in that way as an example. Feel free to add it Evernote and you will see what I am talking about.

Anthony Lawson Decision Maker.pdf

• Level 5*

Ah.  I see.  This is a 3.8" x 3.9" scan (according to the file) which Evernote will automatically enlarge to fit the available window space.  I don't know how you could alter that,  other than what you already know,  plus changing the size of the Evernote window you're using,  or opening the note in a PDF editor or the annotation windows.  (Click the 'eye' or the '@' in the top menu bar.)

ScreenClip [9].png

Yes, exactly.

My feature request is: Do not enlarge pdf to automatically fit the available window space. Use the size attributes of the pdf instead. If i set the magnification attribute of my file to 100% I want Evernote to use that attribute and not automatically enlarge to fit available window space without the possibility to resize it again.

I attached the workaround that I am currently using with pdf as icon and jpg (which I am fortunately able to resize). This is not very convenient.

Anthony1.jpg

Hi guys

I am having the same issue with the PDF file display. It is useful to include the preview of PDF as part of the note (instead of just PDF file name as attachment). 

However, the preview of PDF automatically fit the window size, it becomes annoying. For example, I would like to use a large screen to try viewing as much as information I can. The large preview of PDF size does not help much. I end up using the PDF file name as attachment, however, it loses the purpose of preview of PDF file.

I also hope Evernote will look into it in the future update about it.

Cheers

So by default, the way to resize the PDF preview is to change the width of the note.  So I have a tall narrow window so that I can read the full page of the PDF in Evernote.

The annoyance is then it forces me to either chose between having a narrow window to see the full page of the PDF, or a wide window to make use of all my screen space (on a small widescreen laptop display).

RESIZING WORKAROUND: the easiest way to resize PDFs (or multiple images), is to paste it into a single celled table.  That way, you can resize the table cell width, independent of the window size.   

[It kind of breaks the dynamic resizing of evernote content across different devices, likely, but I don't care - I'm just trying to make it a usable application. ]

This is less than ideal, I would reather have a PDF viewer like setting to view the full PDF page all at once.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, CraigZ said:

This is less than ideal, I would reather have a PDF viewer like setting to view the full PDF page all at once.

The newest release of EN, 6.8, allows you to size the PDF in the note window.  Looks like google PDF viewer.

4 hours ago, CalS said:

The newest release of EN, 6.8, allows you to size the PDF in the note window.  Looks like google PDF viewer.

Awesome, I was on 6.7.5.x ... not sure how I missed it?  Thanks!  [18 hours ago... ha ha, ok, very recent]

Archived