REQUEST: Evernote sticky note program

Michael Potter

Idea

Hello Friends,

I would like to propose that Evernote create a "Sticky Note" standalone app for Mac and PC for very quick and easy note creation. The main feature of the app is that it syncs the entire Evernote application. I would imagine a small application that runs in the dock or Windows system tray.

I rarely go to Evernote when I was to write, copy and paste quickly. I go to a basic text editing program or existing Sticky Note app.

What do you think about this?

Thanks,

Michael

19 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

One suggestion that may or may not work for you:

I often use Notational Velocity to take very fast notes, for a number of reasons related to the concerns you mentioned: it loads instantly, it's only simple text, and it saves automatically. It's not a sticky note program, but I use it for my equivalent of stickies. It doesn't sync to Evernote, but as soon as I have a few moments (after the act of taking my note), I Cmd+A,Cmd+X,Cmd+V my noten in Notational Velocity into Evernote notes, so everything ends up in Evernote before too long without too much work.

Notational Velocity is legen...dary.

I use the methods I mentioned above (1-4) for most things, but when I need plain text, I use Notational Velocity. In my opinion, it is one of the most elegantly designed apps available. It is minimalism perfected. It syncs well with Dropbox (making do*****ents available for editing on any platform) and with SimpleNote (another beautiful app), but doesn't yet sync with Evernote. I am hoping that happens someday :)

I'm happy to announce that Evernote has granted the feature I asked for in the Quick Note functionality.

post-87808-0-14942900-1367499824_thumb.j The menu bar shortcut is a wonderful addition and really meets all my needs - most importantly, not having to interface with the full app to add notes. 

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this stream - for your suggestions, solutions and interest.

I have created a stand-alone sticky note application that is very small and does not need a setup or install. I call it Simple Sticky Note and you it can be found at http://simplestickynote.com

It is a great utility for saving notes on a computer that does not allow you to install your own software.

Jack: edited this to reduce font size. 

Hello Dominikweber,

I did try the Sticky Notes for Evernote on Windows but it seems like they have stopped working on it. Maybe I really don't want a sticky note application on my Mac that imports to Evernote. Maybe I just need to find a text editor that has a nice export to Evernote.

Thanks for your kind help!

Michael

Hello Michael,

did you try this Sticky Notes application? http://evernote.com/...ce=desktop_page it only works for windows, but I think it does exactly what you want.

cheers!

I often use Notational Velocity to take very fast notes, for a number of reasons related to the concerns you mentioned: it loads instantly, it's only simple text, and it saves automatically. It's not a sticky note program, but I use it for my equivalent of stickies. It doesn't sync to Evernote, but as soon as I have a few moments (after the act of taking my note), I Cmd+A,Cmd+X,Cmd+V my notes in Notational Velocity into Evernote notes, so everything ends up in Evernote before too long without too much work.

Thanks Peter for your recommendation of Notational Velocity. I'll try it (because I love apps!) and see if I can improve my workflow using the copy/paste commands. Really appreciate your input!

-Michael

It would be cool to have a sticky note program, but I think Evernote has a lot of options already for doing some of the things you are wanting.

(1) The coolest way to get something from point A (a do*****ent or the web) to point B (Evernote) is to use a keyboard command (depending on the client you are using) to take selected text and create a new note out of it. It occurs immediately, with no need to pull up Evernote or do anything extra. I find this to be the most effective way to keep on task and avoid breaking a workflow.

(2) You could double click on a note, size it really small, and leave it in the corner of the screen. I used to do this when I worked on computers with more screen real-estate.

(3) On my current 11" screen I tend to use full-screen mode (Mac) and just swipe between programs. This might be as fast or faster than (1), but of course, it requires a Mac.

(4) There are keyboard commands on Mac and Windows to quickly pull up and minimize the Evernote app. I suppose with practice you might find (1), (3), and (4) to be equally fast.

Whatever method you use, I would think this would be smoother than using another app, but I haven't had experience with StickyNote, so I cannot say. FastEver in iOS has demonstrated to me that it is at least possible to outrun Evernote -- that thing is very speedy and surprisingly rich in features. But, I digress...

Hello GrumpyMonkey,

Thanks for your great feedback. I'll try each of your suggestions today and see if I can't get away from using other apps when working. If I can use a keyboard command on my Mac to "summon" Evernote when I need it, then I'd be happy. It looks like Command+M quickly minimizes my Evernote screen but I'm still looking for a command to "summon" Evernote (opened in the background).

I appreciate your help!

Michael

I often use Notational Velocity to take very fast notes, for a number of reasons related to the concerns you mentioned: it loads instantly, it's only simple text, and it saves automatically. It's not a sticky note program, but I use it for my equivalent of stickies. It doesn't sync to Evernote, but as soon as I have a few moments (after the act of taking my note), I Cmd+A,Cmd+X,Cmd+V my notes in Notational Velocity into Evernote notes, so everything ends up in Evernote before too long without too much work.

Interesting. My first thought is well my Evernote is always open so what is the big deal. BUT if you had a little +Note icon as an add on extension, much like the web clipper, that would just open up a new note quickly that would be an interesting feature.

Yes Dean, that's really what I'm looking for in Evernote. While I can't work without Evernote on either platform, I do wish to have the simplicity and distraction free environment of a text editor (or sticky note). I do realize this is a minor issue (just use the Evernote app!) but maybe Evernote could create a pop-up companion that serves as a quick and dirty input box (much like OmniFocus does with their quick entry shortcut). I know this would allow me to keep working in any application and avoid changing screens to access Evernote.

Thanks!

Michael

• Level 5*

It would be cool to have a sticky note program, but I think Evernote has a lot of options already for doing some of the things you are wanting.

(1) The coolest way to get something from point A (a do*****ent or the web) to point B (Evernote) is to use a keyboard command (depending on the client you are using) to take selected text and create a new note out of it. It occurs immediately, with no need to pull up Evernote or do anything extra. I find this to be the most effective way to keep on task and avoid breaking a workflow.

(2) You could double click on a note, size it really small, and leave it in the corner of the screen. I used to do this when I worked on computers with more screen real-estate.

(3) On my current 11" screen I tend to use full-screen mode (Mac) and just swipe between programs. This might be as fast or faster than (1), but of course, it requires a Mac.

(4) There are keyboard commands on Mac and Windows to quickly pull up and minimize the Evernote app. I suppose with practice you might find (1), (3), and (4) to be equally fast.

Whatever method you use, I would think this would be smoother than using another app, but I haven't had experience with StickyNote, so I cannot say. FastEver in iOS has demonstrated to me that it is at least possible to outrun Evernote -- that thing is very speedy and surprisingly rich in features. But, I digress...

Did you know that you can create a new note from the clipper icon in your menu bar? Would that do what you want?

Hi Megsaint,

Yes I knew about the clipper solution (thank you for your kind reminder) :) . While this is useful, I find a text editor or sticky note application to be more effective in most cases. I really like applications with very low overhead, fast loading/saving and non-distracting UI (btw...the Evernote app is fine...it's all the other content in my Evernote that is distracting to me).

It would seem counterproductive to launch a second application (like Sticky Notes) when you can capture directly to Evernote. However, I do the same thing when formulating email messages. Why would a person do this when they can simply "write" inside the email application (you're asking)?? I think my workflow needs independence with distraction free UI. If I type an email and not finish it, I tend to delete it rather than making a bunch of drafts. Again, I tend to get distracted by all the email messages in the application when I write.

I hope this makes some sense....thanks for your kind response.

Michael

Interesting. My first thought is well my Evernote is always open so what is the big deal. BUT if you had a little +Note icon as an add on extension, much like the web clipper, that would just open up a new note quickly that would be an interesting feature.

Hi Dean,

Sorry to be confusing. I often use a simple text editor or sticky program on my Mac to take quick notes instead of opening Evernote. What appeals is the low overhead and fast load times of the text editor or sticky note solution. I see that there is the Sticky Note solution for Windows users (I just installed that on my Windows 7 virtual OS on my Mac - it works great!!). I would love to see a native Sticky Note app for the Mac OS 10.7 that had similar features.

I'm sure my issue might be minor.... but an application (like Text Editor or Sticky) with low overhead and fast speed is important to my productivity. My Evernote takes a few seconds to load, sync and can be distracting in terms of UI. If Evernote had a companion sticky app, I would get all the benefits of the program and the fast writing I need when working.

Thanks for your replies!

Michael

Michael, read it twice, not sure I understand exactly what you are looking for. This sticker note would be a stand alone app? Sync with Evernote? Or part of Evernote

• Level 5*

Hello Friends,

I would like to propose that Evernote create a "Sticky Note" standalone app for Mac and PC for very quick and easy note creation. The main feature of the app is that it syncs the entire Evernote application. I would imagine a small application that runs in the dock or Windows system tray.

I rarely go to Evernote when I was to write, copy and paste quickly. I go to a basic text editing program or existing Sticky Note app.

Thanks,

Michael

Hello Friends,

Thanks,

Michael

Hi Michael. Welcome to the forums!

I think there might already be a third-party app in the Evernote Trunk that provides the kind of features you are looking for. It's called "StickyNote."

http://evernote.com/trunk/items/stickynotes?lang=en&layout=default&source=desktop_page

I wouldn't be surprised if they are already working on a version for Mac as well.

Archived