(Archived) Clipping a web page to a shared notebook

billhector

I just need to confirm this because the stupidity of it boggles the mind.

Here's the use case:

1. A friend shares a folder with me with full access.

2. After sync I can see the notebook inside the application.

3. Using the application I can add new notes to the notebook that was shared with me, and I can modify any notes whether I created them or not.

4. I find a webpage I need to clip and add to the notebook that was shared with me.

5. Doh!

That's pretty much it, right? NO clipping to a shared folder? Wow.

Bill

Ouch. That's not quite as bad as not having the feature at all, but close.

Updated use case:

1. A friend shares a folder with me with full access.

2. After sync I can see the notebook inside the application.

3. Using the application I can add new notes to the notebook that was shared with me, and I can modify any notes whether I created them or not.

4. I find a webpage I need to clip and add to a notebook that I personally control.

6. Go to the application, right mouse click, and "copy to notebook >" [why no "move to notebook"? Same reason (unexplained) you can't directly clip to a shared notebook]

7. After "copying" the note to the shared notebook, then delete the original (because, really, who wants 2 copies of the same note, especially if you want to make edits to one and don't want to confuse yourself).

5. Doh!yourself in the head>

That's about the size of it, right?

Evernote needs a mascot like Mailchimp. In that case, if there's anything stupid, I blame Freddy the chimp. Right now I just blame the Evernote developers. Not good.

Bill

Well, I can think of a few reasons why I would still want a duplicate note outside of a shared notebook. You'd be the hero if someone accidentally deleted an important document and you had the backup. You're correct though, that is additional administration and another step on your part.

Regardless, this monkey has snagged your feature request! Thanks for the input and feedback, keep it coming.

Here's how *I* do it:

Install Clipmarks:

http://clipmarks.com/clip-to-email/

To email into a specific notebook in the other person's account, you will need *the sharers* Evernote incoming email address.

In the subject line of your email, write the title of the note as you want it to appear in the Shared Notebook. In the same subject line, add the @ symbol followed by the name of your destination notebook (this must match the name of the notebook in the sharer's account).

For example, Subject: Trip to Florida @travel

• 2 months later...

I'm with you, Bill. Sure, there are ways around it, but it seems silly that you have to jump through these hoops. It's seriously that difficult to send a clip to a shared folder after you've authenticated?

Posts on this topic go back at least a year, and you've surely lost lots of customers like the people I introduced to Evernote by trying to share/collaborate with them, who then couldn't clip and thus thought Evernote was lame. I still think it's great for my personal clipping but have to move on to other tools for collaboration.

I'm with you, Bill. Sure, there are ways around it, but it seems silly that you have to jump through these hoops. It's seriously that difficult to send a clip to a shared folder after you've authenticated?

Posts on this topic go back at least a year, and you've surely lost lots of customers like the people I introduced to Evernote by trying to share/collaborate with them, who then couldn't clip and thus thought Evernote was lame. I still think it's great for my personal clipping but have to move on to other tools for collaboration.

Thanks for the bump. Sharing is definitely something we're working on. Evernote actually began on the mentality of "anti-social", meaning we wanted to create something for users to really engage with personally. Your memory is, after all, only your own. So while I'd argue this initial "personal" focus has paid off, it's left some deficits that we're working on rectifying.

I second that request.

The way evernote lets me organise personal content is amazing, but there is a serious collaboration potential with shared notebooks.

The current workflow is extremely unintuitive - so much so it makes me look elsewhere again, when I just thought I had this sorted topic sorted - for good.

Please allow us to clip to shared notebooks directly.

Yeah, this is a MUST HAVE feature. Any ETA on it?

(what about shared memories?)

A similar issue is that the shared notebooks/linked notebooks are displayed only on a separate page .. ie you can't drag between them, can't view them all at once etc.

Maybe it could be an expandable section like the tags section?

• 1 month later...

Have to add my MUST HAVE feature . Please, please push this to the top of the heap of feature requests. EN is great for personal, but the real power is for businesses. Please unleash the power to business owners, and "virtual" businesses needing shared folders.

Archived