Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo

How are Word and Excel docs shown in a note?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dalemccl

dalemccl

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • Group: Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 03:41 PM

If you pay for Evernote Premium to get the ability to place Microsoft Excel and Word documents in a note, does the note actually display the contents of the Excel spreadsheet or Word Doc? Or does it just have a shortcut to the document file on hard disk (.xlsx or .docx) so that if you click on the shortcut, the native Excel or Word programs open and display the document?

#2 Metrodon

Metrodon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Bankrobber
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 03:43 PM

When you drag a file into Evernote it is then stored in Evernote - it is displayed as an icon with the file name.

If you are on a Mac you can Quick Look this file or you can open it with another application. When you save the doc, the Evernote copy is updated.

#3 MartinPacker

MartinPacker

• PipPipPipPip
  • Title: Shepherd
  • 198 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 03:59 PM

And is the file indexed?

Martin

#4 BurgersNFries

BurgersNFries

• Title: Moderator
  • Group: Evernote Evangelist
  • 12,183 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 04:17 PM

And is the file indexed?

Nope.

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=11949
I'm not affiliated with Evernote. Evernote is an integral part of my life.

Submit support requests toward the bottom of the help/support page here. If you do not receive an auto reply email with a case #, it did NOT get submitted. Premium users will receive a reply within one business day, California time. Free users receive a reply as time permits.

#5 gazumped

gazumped

• Title: Operative
  • 5,691 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 10:59 PM

..but you can always use the title, tags or an included snippet from the actual file to uniquely identify the content for future searches.

I use Evernote constantly but don't speak for them.  Opinions here are my own based (more or less) on age,  experience,  and common business sense.  

Evernote read what's posted here,  and take it into consideration setting priorities;  they don't normally comment on individual cases,  or offer any forecasts or promises on whether or when a new feature might be released.  

Premium Windows & Android user in Wales, UK

EN Mobile 5.8 Beta 2 | Galaxy S3 Android 4.1.2 | Chrome - EN Desktop 5.2.0.2503 (270503) Prerelease | Dell Inspiron W8.0 | Chrome + Clipper & Clearly | MS Office 2013 (also Vista and W7)
Support and information: Mac | Windows | iOS | AndroidGetting Started | Support Page | Knowledge Base | Status Page | The App CenterSupport Requests & Feedback 

(Support only work weekdays,  US Pacific Time)  |  If you need to change your account name,  email address or check usage,  do it here 

Use your spare processor capacity for science research - find out more about BOINC here.  

#6 BurgersNFries

BurgersNFries

• Title: Moderator
  • 12,183 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 11:09 PM

..but you can always use the title, tags or an included snippet from the actual file to uniquely identify the content for future searches.

That's what I do. IMO & IME, I don't need to be able to search on every word in every note. In fact, sometimes, that produces so many notes that you need to refine the search. I find using accurate titles & "keywords" very helpful.
I'm not affiliated with Evernote. Evernote is an integral part of my life.

Submit support requests toward the bottom of the help/support page here. If you do not receive an auto reply email with a case #, it did NOT get submitted. Premium users will receive a reply within one business day, California time. Free users receive a reply as time permits.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote