Let me use the external SD card

tayjas

Idea

Oh no.  Is evernote following microsoft down the "We know what's best for you sewer?"    "You WILL NOT have the option..."    It shocks me to discover that i cannot set evernote my android phone to  store notebooks on the external SD card. 
My evernote folders have reached the point where they are clogging my phone's internal storage.

Does that mean i need to switch to OneNote?   ...or Keep?

sigh

~Tay
"

Can I choose to store Evernote data on external storage if I want?

You will not have the option to store Evernote data on any external storage devices."

8 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, briancaldwell said:

For performance and security reasons, Evernote does not store data nor note contents on any external storage devices, such as SD cards.

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209004817-How-is-Evernote-data-stored-on-my-Android-device-

You mention this as a security concern yet Evernote emphatically will not consider zero knowledge encryption.  The company's concern over security seems a little inconsistent to me...

• Level 5*
13 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

You mention this as a security concern yet Evernote emphatically will not consider zero knowledge encryption.  The company's concern over security seems a little inconsistent to me...

Performance and security. And security is a spectrum...

On 9/16/2016 at 10:38 AM, s2sailor said:

I was focused on the security comment and their (what I consider) inconsistent concern over security

I respect that your personal opinion is that Evernote has been inconsistent in our security stance. I respectfully disagree. Evernote, in my personal opinion, has had a solidly consistent approach to our security stance for years.

Quoting our head of Security in a post as recent as a few days ago:

"We don’t provide you with a feature that lets you client-side encrypt all your content in a way that we can no longer read it. The only end-to-end encryption feature we offer is note text encryption. We’ve had a lot of people voice their interest in full note, notebook, and account encryption, but we don’t have any plans to support that right now."

Consistent to this philosophy, we do not allow saving content to SD Card because this would reduce the security and performance of your content when saved into Evernote.

• Level 5*
23 hours ago, briancaldwell said:

We’ve had a lot of people voice their interest in full note, notebook, and account encryption, but we don’t have any plans to support that right now."

Brian, I appreciate the response.  It was this quoted post earlier in the forum that caused me to comment on your post.  I think some of us were holding out hope that Evernote would see the light and offer notebook level, zero knowledge encryption.  The note from your head of security affectively ends that, at least in the forseeable future.  So I do see it as inconsistent that EN is concerned enough about someone losing or misplacing SD media with unencrypted data that they won't allow data storage on removable media, yet on the other hand are not interested in providing the encryption necessary that would allow this (I acknowledge that there may some hit in performance with SD media).   Notebook encryption could safely allow use of removable media, would be a natural extension of the text encryption already allowed, and would help to alleviate some of the concerns with the Google transition.  No matter how many times the three pillars of security are repeated, many, myself included, will be concerned with Google's new involvement with our data. 

Thank you for listening but on this topic I think we will have to agree to disagree.

• Level 5
On 9/16/2016 at 11:21 AM, briancaldwell said:

For performance and security reasons, Evernote does not store data nor note contents on any external storage devices, such as SD cards.

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209004817-How-is-Evernote-data-stored-on-my-Android-device-

I understand the point (though I don't agree with it). I just want to suggest a possible refinement to the strategies suggested in the article to which you linked. It recommends, "Free up space by deleting apps, music, videos, and photos you no longer need." Right, it's only my kids, eh? Rather than suggest deleting these items, why not suggest moving them to the SD card? That clears up space without deleting stuff that most folks do want to keep around. And since EN will never, ever want the space on the SD card, there's no downside.

Archived