How Evernote isn't playing nice with my trip to TIFF (Toronto Film Festival)

lisec

Idea

Again, I thought I was being good.

I'm going to TIFF (Toronto International Film Festival) as I do every year. I rent an apt using Airb&b. I select my films. I actually paste the films from the tiff site to Evernote. I have a schedule that I create in Evernote.

I'm not in Toronto yet, it is the day before, and already I have an issue.  I have an entry for each film I will be seeing. I decided it would be a good idea to modify the Create Date and Time so that it corresponded with the screening I was attending. Cool. Then I could just open my "On Device" folder (that's a cool folder that I use to include all info I need offline when I may not have access to the net), as it contains everything I need for my 10 days in Toronto. I want to see all the films I'm seeing, in chronological order. 

Ha!

It turns out that when I grab my phone, open Evernote, go to the "On Device" folder and select the three dots > Sort By > Date created, it sorts by most recent first.  Which means the last film I will be seeing 11 days from now.  No problem, I'll just hit all those buttons to see which one says "acending/descending" because most applications give you that option in their sort features. I mean that's basic. Elementary. Every user knows to look for that option. 

Ha!

I couldn't find it so I selected "chat" and chatted with someone at apparently it is "by design" that only the most recently created item shows up a the top and there is no way to change that.

(this is where I imagine programmers sitting around a windowless table deciding that sorting doesn't require ascending/descending after all, like all other apps.)

i remain polite when I tell the person on the other end of the line that at almost $80/year (x3 because I have 3 accounts - yes, I know...), for software that does 1/10th of what Office 365 does for almost the same price, the least, the LEAST I would expect is to be able to determine how I want to sort my data.

I'm going be adding to this post during the next 10 days as I discover issues with Evernote in a travel context.

My previous attempt at using Android-only on my trip to Greece:

3 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
35 minutes ago, lisec said:

Again, I thought I was being good.

I'm going to TIFF (Toronto International Film Festival) as I do every year. I rent an apt using Airb&b. I select my films. I actually paste the films from the tiff site to Evernote. I have a schedule that I create in Evernote.

I'm not in Toronto yet, it is the day before, and already I have an issue.  I have an entry for each film I will be seeing. I decided it would be a good idea to modify the Create Date and Time so that it corresponded with the screening I was attending. Cool. Then I could just open my "On Device" folder (that's a cool folder that I use to include all info I need offline when I may not have access to the net), as it contains everything I need for my 10 days in Toronto. I want to see all the films I'm seeing, in chronological order. 

Ha!

It turns out that when I grab my phone, open Evernote, go to the "On Device" folder and select the three dots > Sort By > Date created, it sorts by most recent first.  Which means the last film I will be seeing 11 days from now.  No problem, I'll just hit all those buttons to see which one says "acending/descending" because most applications give you that option in their sort features. I mean that's basic. Elementary. Every user knows to look for that option. 

Ha!

I couldn't find it so I selected "chat" and chatted with someone at apparently it is "by design" that only the most recently created item shows up a the top and there is no way to change that.

Agreed, ascending/descending would be nice to have; as well as the ability to update the dates

My workaround would be to put the date in the Title; that would allow sorting in ascending date sequence

7 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Agreed, ascending/descending would be nice to have; as well as the ability to update the dates

My workaround would be to put the date in the Title; that would allow sorting in ascending date sequence

DTLow, Agreed. I usually include a 20160907 type thing at the beginning of my note titles for that reason.  In this case I purposefully left it out because I wanted to be able to sort by film title in case I needed to. I figured it would be ok to go against my regular way of doing things because I could sort by "date created" which was exactly the reason I changed the date on all my films: so I could sort by date or by title. Oh well.

• Level 5*

I use a specific notebook for my 'required on voyage' mobile notes,  and have used the big Widget to put those notes on my home screen.  When I'm traveling it's pretty easy to scroll to the bottom of the (fairly short) list to get the next item required for my itinerary.  When I'm finished with that I tend to move it out of that notebook and back to the default.  (Tap the displayed notebook name and choose from a list...) 

As a work-around you could set up one or more notebooks for your trip,  including one for 'upcoming' and one for 'completed' and set those both as offline searchable.  Move items from one to the other as your weekend progresses...

As with many things in Evernote,  you have your basic Lego kit of features - there are probably lots of other ways to achieve the same end,  it only remains to find the best one for you!

And yes,  ascending/ descending would be nice to have; as well as the ability to update dates.

Archived